Renderworks brightness settings

nlov

Hey forum, first time poster. 

I am having some issues with the brightness on my interior renders. OpenGL renders as usual, but as soon as a renderworks style is selected, the screen/viewport/working plane becomes very bright. I have adjusted brightness and lighting settings in both viewport options and renderworks styles but can't seem to get it to render properly. 

I have been attempting to do quick preview renders, but final quality renders have also been attempted but aren't any better. 

Attached is the most recent attempt with lighting options.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 5.23.54 pm.png

Screen Shot 2019-11-03 at 5.24.16 pm.png

Just shooting from the hip here: 

OpenGL only renders a maximum of eight light sources. (Because it's meant to be used when modelling, not for presentations and too many lights would make it sluggish).  So if you have more than eight light sources, because they don't show up in OpenGL but will in Renderworks modes, you'll might get an overexposed result by comparison. 

Also, OpenGL renders don't include a bunch of lighting/rendering characteristics that Renderworks modes do, such as number of bounces, reflectivity, brightness, bump etc. 

There are a LOT of variables to balance when rendering. If you have not already I suggest you go through at least one of the three or four distinct playlists on Renderworks in the Vectorworks YouTube Channel: 

Rendering in Action 

Rendering in Vectorworks 

Remarkable Renderworks Rendering Tutorial Series 

Rendering for Success Training 

Thanks @Jeremy Best, ive been through most of the tutorials, im only running a single heliodon as a light source with bounces and have tried various heliodons and bounce levels. the file is too big to upload.

ive never had this issue with standard VW render styles before.

Could it be an exposure issue? im unsure how to adjust these settings.

You can change the brightness of the Heliodon used in the Object Info Palette. That or Image Effects are the current most likely causes in my opinion. Other possibilities include, in rough order of probability: 

• Image Effects might be turned on and imbalanced (bottom of the Object Info Palette) 
  • Textures with very high levels of colour brightness 
  • Textures with high levels of reflectivity or glow 
  • The file is corrupt or has a corruption in it. - Verify by mocking up a quick test-file using the same light/render settings. 
  • Your installation is misbehaving: 
    1. Try restarting Vectorworks. Failing that: 
    2. Try restarting your computer. Failithing that: 
    3. Reset Vectorworks Preferences
  • Like 1