Online activation -- "failed because of communication problems"

JasonMichael

Question

I've just recently installed Vectorworks 2020 on my Lenovo W530 running Windows 7. When I boot up VW, I am prompted to activate over the internet, and when I do it fails and I get an error "An attempt to activate over the internet has failed because of communication problems. Do you want to try again? Make sure you have unrestricted internet access and that you are connected."  "Try Again" or "Quit." 

I have VW2017 on the same laptop and it is working fine, all the same firewall permissions, and I just booted it up for the first time in months, so I expect it would have had to re-activate. Would a re-install have any effect? This is obviously frustrating as I have projects that are stalling because of this. 

13 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply. VW 2018 SP6 - Windows 10 - 64 bit.

I have tried with firewall off, firewall exemptions, ESET Anti-virus/firewall off, Windows Defender off, changing serial number (regedit), Windows firewall exemptions, Safe Mode, bypassing the Routerboard, connecting directly to the modem/router, updating C++, etc...

Frustrating!

Hi Juan,

Thanks for the help... For some "unknown" reason I am up and running again. A fresh install, cleaning out the registry, manually removing all Vectorworks folders in Windows Safe Mode, removing ESET and disabling Windows Defender and Firewall, then reinstalling Vectorworks still resulted in failed activation.

I know that you said that the system error message wasn't to do with the graphics card, but following similar problems on other forums I swapped out the GTX760 and hey presto - Activation successful.

So, I don't know whether it was the planets in alignment, the graphics card, the weather or some Windows or anti-virus update that sorted it out, but now it's working I am not going to mess with it... until next time it fails!?!

• Like 1
On 11/2/2019 at 1:27 PM, JasonMichael said:

I've just recently installed Vectorworks 2020 on my Lenovo W530 running Windows 7. When I boot up VW, I am prompted to activate over the internet, and when I do it fails and I get an error "An attempt to activate over the internet has failed because of communication problems. Do you want to try again? Make sure you have unrestricted internet access and that you are connected."  "Try Again" or "Quit." 

I'm getting the same activation error on a VW 2020 install. I've been asked to work from home and was trying to install/activate on my home Windows 10 PC.

8 hours ago, ThePowerOfGus said:

I'm getting the same activation error on a VW 2020 install. I've been asked to work from home and was trying to install/activate on my home Windows 10 PC.

I upgraded my laptop to Windows 10 and i was able to activate. Best of luck with the social isolation. I wasn't able to get any help with it, but i figured I had to update Windows from Windows 7. Most of what I saw online was to continue trying, and to make sure that Vectorworks isn't blocked by your firewall. Also you could try running vectoroworks as administrator by right clicking on it. 

I'm getting same thing on my Lenovo. Just installed the trial version with the given Serial number and there is nothing else on my firewall I can deactivate in order to leave a free access to internet of any software. Getting into my nerves, such a waste of time. About to uninstall it and tell my partner to stay with ACAD plus Rhino.