Dimensions are not right even though I am in the Annotation Viewport

Nefertricia

Question

5 answers to this question

Are you saying that the dimension is not measuring properly when drawn inside the annotation group? Or are you saying that you want to fake the dimension to something other than what is being shown?

If you want to fake a dimension, draw a regular dimension, then in the Object Info Pallet (OIP) uncheck the Show Dimension Value check box and type the value you want into the Leader or Note fields.

Hi Pat! 

I am saying both but, the actual problem is the first you are saying: the dimension is not measuring properly inside the annotation viewport. My design layer is in 1:1 scale and the sheet layer is in 1:145. Something that is measuring 4m is measuring 8,7m. I don't know what I am doing wrong.

For the drawing I am in now I will be faking the dimensions (thanks for the tip!) but I would like to know how to do it right!

Thanks

BTW, really good this forum. super quick response!

Good you can fake it per advice from @Pat Stanford.  

But more trouble shooting:

Can you post a screen shot of the viewport or, better, post a new vwx file with the 4m object pasted in place in a design layer and a viewport in similar view demonstrating the problem?  That would help with troubleshooting.

Are you dimensioning a 3d scene? Dimension objects created in viewport annotations are strictly 2d (screen plane projections), even if snapped to points on the 3d geometry displayed in the vp.  If the viewport shows an off axis 3d view or is set to show a perspective projection, then the dimension objects will not (usually) report correct values.  Viewport annotation dimensions report correct values when the VP is set to an orthogonal projection of top, side or bottom view.

I think another possibility is that your vp shows several design layers and these design layers are not all in same scale.  Verify that all the layers visible in the viewport are same scale.  Organization palette>Layer tab will list all the design layers and show their scale.  If needed, select a layer in the list, click Edit, and adjust the layer scale in the dialog.

-B

• Like 2