drawing sheet vibration

Just some general observations...I have 10 subsystems referenced into the MAIN file...so someone says "can you send me an updated pdf of the MAIN file?"

This means that I need to make sure that the 10 subsystems are all update for the MAIN file to be update...true not all the detail of the 10 sub systems needs to show in the MAIN file.

However, i like to have everything up to date because its hard to track what in the sub systems is seen in the MAIN file...so i try to have everything updated to be safe...

So this means that it may take 2+ weeks before I can grant your request because of updating all the subsystems...This is true for Onshape also...If you want an update of the over all assembly then I need to make sure all the parts and subassemblies are updated first...this can take days depending upon the changes.

So I have tried to have everything on Bluebeam Revu Studio & I update the drawings there by replacing sheets...The buffet table approach...I just keep stocking the table.

This it not me making a new MAIN pdfs with a date

like,

MAIN 2019.10.28

MAIN 2019.10.29

MAIN 2019.10.30

but just, 

MAIN (just like filling the one mash potato bin...vs adding more bins with dates)

We just replace the sheets that are current for that day.....so this means the MAIN file is always "vibrating" with new information daily....This totally can't happen if you are emailing files around...

I don't know how else to do it. People want to see the MAIN file all the time and don't want to wait....changes are always happening.

It's like the objects around you...your coffee mug may appear at rest but the atoms are vibrating...

Take it one step further & in the coming Internet Of Things we will need to design with vibrating data...because this will not be static...

and another step further is that you will not be processing this data on your computer that you turn on and off...it will need to be cloud based and crunch data while you sleep...

come around full circle an drawing sheets are just windows of the current state in time of a project...its never done because you hand it off to others who add in more data...

Edited by digitalcarbon

So this all means that the pdfs need to be cloud based or similar (like Bluebeam Revu) that people goto and get the information...

Emailing pdfs around to the team is the kiss of death...they don't realize it but it is...

Owners who want the final pdf set don't realize that as soon as they get the set its out of date...the world, life, industry etc are always vibrating...

So am I making a product or providing a service?

On 10/31/2019 at 4:56 AM, digitalcarbon said:

Is the service a trolly

That’s probably how your viewers/clients consider it. 😩

I have no solution but want to express admiration and sympathy. Somehow you have forged your product at the centroid of a mass of input sources requiring collation and filtering and updating and checking, all to be synced into a constant stream of personalized output demands. It’s your theme of tyranny of sheets, on steroids.  The tech foundation (model/data/distribution software, hardware, WAN, LAN) wants us to think it’s helping, but it’s fraught with fiefdoms intent on independence or dominance (Win/Mac, dwg/vwx, cloud/cEarth/bluebeam, browsers/VR, isps, mobile, . . .). Maybe some day you will create or find that elusive global virtual environment where inputs are instantaneously self integrating and output is automatic, accessible and customizable by end user.

Good luck!

-B

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Benson Shaw said:

centroid of a mass of input sources requiring collation and filtering and updating and checking, all to be synced into a constant stream of personalized output demands.

wow! that is exactly what is going on...how in the world did I ever get here?

that's the problem with models vs schematic drawings...when you have a model then people say..."make a BOM" or "do an energy audit on it"... those simple statements plunge one into other universes...

lets use our imagination...lets pretend that someone just makes the infrastructure for the GVE (global virtual environment..cloud based) 

their job is to just make the universe..Like the iPhone...this is a device that is the basic infrastructure...then let others build all the apps they want...

but these apps all work in the GVE...so if a Nemetschek/Google partnership built the GVE then others can build the stair tool, window tool, energy audit tool, etc 

this relieves the makers of the GVE of such burdens so they can focus on the perfection of the GVE...it always works and is easy to navigate. 

so the GVE is focused on collaboration, assembling, organizing, options, time, materials, information, concrete trucks, logistics, soccer games, etc...

all tying things to the cEarth which is tied to the UTM grid..(GPS)

Edited by digitalcarbon
  • Like 1