VWX 2020 crashing a lot with 2019 files

eamon

Question

Hi all

I have being experiencing a great deal of crashes with VWX 2020. On its own, the programme seems fine but whenever I open an existing show file from an earlier version it tends to have a major stroke and then crashes.

The crashes have occurred with plans created/modified in vwx2019. The plans are all "simple" geometry and are all venue based drawings with some being Autocad, Vectorworks, PDF hybrids etc. The crash seems to specifically happen when I open the earlier version file in 2020.

The program will run fine for 5-30mins and then the screen will crash and the fans go into overdrive. At this point, a force re-start is the only option.

I was teaching a class and the computer crashed at least 3 times in the space of 20mins.

At the moment, vwx 2020 is unusable for the mixtures of venue files I possess. I have not narrowed it down to a particular file but have found it seems to have across any file edited/created in vwx2019.

I have a great deal of work on an upcoming tour with older version plans and need to do an updated lighting plan for each. I will have to revert to 2019 to play it safe.

I am on a macbook pro 2011 c/w SSD & 16 RAM.

I am currently running  High Sierra. I will upgrade to Mojave but not really wanting till December. Too much work on etc. If Mojave is required to cure this ill, I will take the chance!

I am on the latest version of VWX 2020 SP1

Does anyone have any pointers or would this be classified as a bug report?

Eamon

10 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Eamon

The UK tech support team will look into this for you. We'll email you with a case number and request some more information from you.

Could you confirm the graphics card that's in your MacBook Pro and the amount of dedicated graphics memory it has? You might also want to update your forum signature to show the your up to date system profile.

Hi Tamsin

I have received an email from Vectorworks Uk and forwarded the requested information this evening.

To confirm, my graphics card is Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB graphics

Thanks for coming back to me.

Hopefully they can track the bug down.

Will update the sig too.

Eamon

Hi

Yes, the mac is a wee bit old but it is still a trusty machine. 

I did not look at the min specs for vwx 2020. I upgraded as soon as it came out and it is only in the last month these problems have started to appear.

I will get around to updating to mojave but just not the time at the moment.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:05 PM, eamon said:

Hi all

I have being experiencing a great deal of crashes with VWX 2020. On its own, the programme seems fine but whenever I open an existing show file from an earlier version it tends to have a major stroke and then crashes.

The crashes have occurred with plans created/modified in vwx2019. The plans are all "simple" geometry and are all venue based drawings with some being Autocad, Vectorworks, PDF hybrids etc. The crash seems to specifically happen when I open the earlier version file in 2020.

The program will run fine for 5-30mins and then the screen will crash and the fans go into overdrive. At this point, a force re-start is the only option.

I was teaching a class and the computer crashed at least 3 times in the space of 20mins.

At the moment, vwx 2020 is unusable for the mixtures of venue files I possess. I have not narrowed it down to a particular file but have found it seems to have across any file edited/created in vwx2019.

I have a great deal of work on an upcoming tour with older version plans and need to do an updated lighting plan for each. I will have to revert to 2019 to play it safe.

I am on a macbook pro 2011 c/w SSD & 16 RAM.

I am currently running  High Sierra. I will upgrade to Mojave but not really wanting till December. Too much work on etc. If Mojave is required to cure this ill, I will take the chance!

I am on the latest version of VWX 2020 SP1

Does anyone have any pointers or would this be classified as a bug report?

Eamon

I doubt an upgrade to Mojave’s will help, I’ve had to go back to high Sierra to make 2020 useable...beach balling and crashing ..out of memory notifications- update is only going to add more pressure to your MacBook in my opinion..

On 11/5/2019 at 9:49 AM, neal-2002 said:

update is only going to add more pressure to your MacBook in my opinion..

Newer software including operating systems do not necessarily demand more of your hardware than prior versions did. This is because engineers can find more efficient ways of getting a computer to do the things it does. For example Vectorworks 2020 has been programmed to display 3D geometry in varying levels of detail, factored by the users zoom level. This change has made Vectorworks 2020 way more snappy when moving your view around in 3D than prior versions. However - I gather - other changes have put new or different types of demands on graphics cards too. If you're your graphics card - or the newest driver available for it - can't process/handle modern conventions employed in current software, then that warrants a new card/computer. 

12 hours ago, Jeremy Best said:

Newer software including operating systems do not necessarily demand more of your hardware than prior versions did

but it does....otherwise why am i now having to upgrade the memory on my mac to hopefully allow my upgraded VW2020 to run on my upgraded mojave os...

5 hours ago, neal-2002 said:

why am i now having to upgrade the memory on my mac to hopefully allow my upgraded VW2020 to run on my upgraded mojave os

I said 'not necessarily' meaning that's not always the case: 

• Vectorworks has had the same hardware requirements for versions 2018, 2019 and 2020. (This doesn't mean compatibility of hardware or drivers won't become an issue when the hardware falls out of the support period). 
  • Apple's mobile operating system iOS was partially re-written in version 12 and achieved massive speed/efficiency gains. (40% faster loading apps, 50% faster revealing the keyboard) 

The demands of the operating system you came from might indeed contrast with that of macOS Mojave as there is definitely an upward trend in the demands of software releases over time. 

Based on your current signature it looks like you might be running either an old MacPro with an aftermarket graphics card or a Hackintosh. If that's the case that's a big caveat regarding compatibility between your graphics card, the drivers and your software.