a pc user thinking of buying a mac

I have used vw for 4 years on a pc xp system, I now have 10,5 and after hearing all your comments have decided I am tooo busy to go to 11.5. I also am on the verge of buying a new computer and laptop, whic is the most used computer for me. I am a design-builder using model with renderworks most of the time for my client presentation/communication should I just switch to high powered mac? Dare I upgrade to 11.5? I am so busy i can barely manage my workload. and I'm not the most patient nor the "sharpest tool in the shed' when learning a new system (though I do have mac experience for graphics) I have no need for a PC except for the rare consultant that must have an Auto-cadd drawing (which is not convoluted by the transition) please help. Thanks

Michelle

i don't think we will be seeing a new range of apple powerbooks for some time as it is going to take time for apple time (about a year) to get to grips with the new intel chips so given the options now is as good a time as any to buy. You could wait you whole life to a machine with that new gismo but what it comes down to is if its the right time for you to buy then buy the best you can.

These are dangerous topics as they can degrade into a war between proponents of each platform. Only you can decide which operating system feels right for you.

Like Mike, I have been waiting for the next big speed boost from Apple. The problem is that I too am busy and each day that I wait I waste time on a slow computer.

I have a new 2.3 ghz G5 on order. The waiting is over. While it may not be a huge jump in speed over the previous Apple offerings, it is a huge increase over my current 466mhz G4.

One can make themselves crazy in playing the waiting game of when will Apple introduce a G5 Powerbook. Sure it might be next week, but may not be until 2006 when Apple starts shipping Intel based products.

For me, a Powerbook is a way to present projects to clients and to enter field data when doing as-built drawings. Neither of these tasks needs a G5 in my opinion.

For me the need for speed comes in the form of my desktop computer where I spend most of my time. The desktop unit can grind out the renderings, and the Powerbook can easilty present the finished product.

My wife has a PC notebook and it makes me crazy. So for me, OSX is the platform of choice. I would never want to have to work on a PC. But of course that is me. Others on this board are very happy using a PC and cannot tolerate the Mac not running some of the software that they need.

The g5 is a great machine and vwks works great on them. I'd say go for 11.5 vwks for sure and the 2.3 g5 keven is getting. laptops are really not for serious cad work but they do come in handy away from the office or for client presentations. in 11.5 you can use the 10 pallet and learn the new features as you go. the biggest change (and you do not have to do this right away) is using viewports with a 3d model of your building. it is really quite easy, you just have to think about doing a 3d model right off the bat and having the program generate the elevations from the model. aves time in the long run.

We have both PC and Apple seats of VW. I find the Macs seem to run overall better than the PCs. OS X is a breeze to learn, and in my opinion much more enjoyable.

have had millions of problems with 11.5, but 11.01 seems to be just fine.

Still cant get enough power for rendering, however my 2.5G seems to suffice.

Good luck.

I use a 1 ghz 17" Apple G4 Powerbook at home and while traveling, and a Duel 1.25 ghz G4 desktop with a 22" monitor in the office.

I find the 17" powerbook to be a very good computer for Vectorworks. I don't miss the larger screen when using it; perhaps because I tend to sit closer to the laptop than the desktop. If you do get the 17" Powerbook, I would also get a wireless mouse (I have the Apple mouse and am very happy with it).

Both computers are fast enough for my needs. Most of my cadd work is 2D drafting so I can not really comment on 3d performance.

I had no trouble converting to version 11.5 from version 10.5.

Firstly, there is very little difference between 10 and 11 besides viewports so my advise would be to stay with 10 if you don't have a need for viewports and you are happy with 10. Rather wait for 12 to come out.

Secondly, I have always been a fan of the MAC but in my opinion the price tag does not warrant it. I can't think of anything that the MAC can do that the PC can't.

Thirdly, everyone wants more speed. The MAC will be using intel in future so PC's can't be that bad. It's up to the user how they input data.

In short stay with PC it has more flexibility but if you want skin deep looks then go MAC.

PS.: Don't scream at me you MAC guys-I do like the interface.

If your workload is heavy and you are used to a PC, stick to that platform. We use both here, G4s, G5s, Dell Precision desktops and laptop. For 3D CAD I much prefer the PCs - they are much faster in every app for 3D. For 2D its the same.

Switching platforms and versions at the same time would not be a good move in my opinion. Besides, I thought VectorWorks was platform specific when it came to licensing? So if you have a Windows version you can't just install it on a Mac. Am I wrong?

Thanks to all of you who responded. I absoultely need portabilty in my computer as I am not in the same place enough and can't buy desktops for all those locations.

My currently busy state makes me fear radical switching at this point so will go for another PC.