Question about "Export Classes as PDF Layers"

When creating a PDF, the "Export Classes as PDF Layers" option doesn't work the way I expected it to and I'm curious if there's another way or a setting that I'm missing.

I have one main symbol that I'm using for this project that has an attached record format and text objects in the symbol that are linked to record fields. Unfortunately, there's not enough space in the symbol to spread these text objects out, so I put them all on the center point of the symbol and put each one in a separate class. This way, I can turn classes on/off to see the information that I'm interested in. I'd like that functionality to exist in an exported PDF as well so that end users without VW experience can access the information as well. However, I'm seeing that in the PDF, all of the text objects respond to the PDF Layer/VW class that the symbol was assigned to rather than the class they're assigned to individually. Right now, all of my symbols are in the None class, so when I change the visibility of the None class/PDF layer in the PDF viewer, all of the text objects in the symbols follow suit. I've tried publishing both sheet layer viewports and saved views, as well as directly exporting from the active design layer, all with the same results.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated!