Reference Disappearing

Parker Battle

Question

I am referencing a file and a viewport connected to it. If I change the viewport to add a layer from the reference file (make it visible), that entire reference disappears. If I make it invisible, it is ok. The reference doesn't show, the viewport is still there.

Here is a screen recording. https://www.dropbox.com/s/qj42s8pzvzd78mn/VWX Ref Issue.mov?dl=0

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Edited by Parker Battle

3 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Parker

Thanks for sharing the video. I can see the problem, but I guess this is only half the story. Without seeing what's in the reference file, it's hard to be sure what's going wrong. But you mention that your reference file is linked to a viewport, which implies that this is reference to another reference. That won't work. Best practice is to reference everything directly. Hope that helps!

@Tamsin Slatter Thanks for looking at this. The viewport is to a reference. In the reference file, there is not a reference within it.

The way I have this current document setup is I have three design layers each with a viewport to the reference. These three viewports are stacked on top of each other. So for Instance, layer "Plot Ref - Fixtures" has just the 'fixtures' layer turned on in the viewport to the reference. 'Plot Ref - Arch' has just the 'arch' layer visible in the viewpoert from the reference. But if I go to the 'Plot Ref - Fixtures' layers viewport and try to make the 'arch' layer visible on that viewport, it goes blank.

Does that make sense? Thanks!