Image prop does not obscure hidden lines

Benson Shaw

Sheet layer vp:

Hidden lines draw over the image prop.  I want image prop to hide the edges behind.

Description:

•Human figure is a group of two image props slightly offset (Adam front view & Adam back view from vwx library)

•Prop Textures use Image Mask Color & Transparency Shaders from same images.

•In design layer, Image Prop is placed in front of several extrudes.

•••••One Extrude has polished metallic texture (reflects Adam's back). Red & green ones have color fill.

VP Background render is RW Style>Realistic Exterior Final

VP Foreground render mode is Hidden Line

•Indirect lighting is ON, Background is HDRI Sky Mostly Sunny

Why wouldn't an image prop obscure edge lines of objects behind the image prop?

Pilot error here in texture or render setup?

Or does Hidden Line always override the image transparency masks? Workaround?

-B

image.thumb.png.3b7617ec7e1bc2d21be3167f30f25e14.png

OK, I tested some of the options.

First, Thanks @herbieherb for pointing out the base problem, that Hidden Line, by itself, does not render textures.  Ya know, it's white with edges. The stacked vp can sometimes work, but is only helpful if the entire image prop is foremost in the view.

Kevin's method is good. It requires effort through a trace, and some decisions. Special need here is that I need the polished surface behind the figure to reflect the back of the figure.  My trace, including the hole at the elbow, started as a poly with 248 vertices.   Several ways to go from there to get to a 3d Surface with the elbow hole.  Then some choices with the Surface: Give it a fill and interpose it between the two image props, or make a dupe of the surface and put front texture on one, back texture on the other.  Group the collection of surfaces, make it a Symbol if desired, so they can be moved confidently.

Thanks all.  Got it working in the VP.  This is trace surface between the two image props.

-B

image.thumb.png.0e151ab34325d38a8a0dc12f5fa9184f.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
bloviating
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, Kevin McAllister said:

1mm extrude allows for holes in the shape and also accommodates for "top" and "bottom textures

That’s good, too.  I found that aligning and scaling the two textures to opposite faces of the extrude required more time & effort than duplicate/offset the front prop or front surface, change the dupe’s texture to “back” (it’s already aligned and scaled to the shape) and sandwich the blank trace in between. Perhaps applying paired textures to the extrude would be trivial after completing several. 

1 hour ago, Andy Broomell said:

Now if only you could make objects that aren't Image Props always face the camera (like you can in Cinema4D).

Interesting that this feature is not yet in vwx. Seems quite useful. Although I often switch off the auto rotate. I don’t much like the look of trees with identical rotations. 

-B

• Like 1