Codec for Render Movie

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you are talking about creating a rendered movie from Vision via a DMX Recording, we always write our videos out as MPEG-1. We've recently discovered this is what is causing a crash when rendering at a resolution of 4096x2160 as MPEG-1 only supports up to 4095x4095 (ie; our height was one pixel too tall for the codec). We're going to remove this option for now, but would like to investigate other export formats. If you have any suggestions/insights that would be great!

If you are talking about reading a video file off of disk for playback in Vision, the generally consensus has been "If the OS can play it, we can play it." I'm not very familiar with the code that handles this as it was written well before my time. But if we need to support better codecs here, it would be good to know that customers would like it investigated!

On 10/22/2019 at 2:19 PM, bbudzon said:

We've recently discovered this is what is causing a crash when rendering at a resolution of 4096x2160 as MPEG-1 only supports up to 4095x4095 (ie; our height was one pixel too tall for the codec)

Good discovery! Explains why I couldn’t render out at that size. 

would like to investigate other export formats. If you have any suggestions/insights that would be great!

I would suggest any formats that are viewable on a mobile device. (*.mov and *.mp4 come to mind) A large majority of the time we are sharing content that should be viewable on the go iPhone, Samsung Galaxy etc..) in addition to desktop media applications. 

If you are talking about reading a video file off of disk for playback in Vision,

Nope. Just talking about viewing Render Movies on additional devices (macOS, Windows, mobile devices and cloud services like Dropbox and Google Drive.)

• Like 1