Data tags and viewport Data Visualization

2019 Spotlight:

I'm laying out speakers throughout a building. Each speaker has a record attached with a unique ID, and all the other relevant info for our installers. I'm using data tags and worksheets to convey the info on the drawings. 

One key field is "Zone", and I'd like to color code the data tag fill with the corresponding color for that zone. (see screen grab)

The only way I've found to do this is to attach a different record format to the data tag and manually enter in the zone. It works, but it's an additional step and time consuming.

I'd love for this process to be automatic. Is there a way to apply data visualization to the data tag itself based on the object it's attached to...or does a data tag have to have a unique record entry?

(note: I had a quick attempt with 2020, and had similar results)

Screen Shot 2019-10-22 at 9.10.56 AM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @livespace josha,

You could make the Data Tag use the formula <your record>.<Zone> -> <data tag attached record>.<Zone> and that way automatically transfer the Zone Value to the record attached to the Data Tag. Below is attached an example how to achive this.

Data Tag Data Viz Demo.vwx

Let me know if you need any further help.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 3