Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

VWTransform : void SetRotation(VWPoint3D newZ, VWPoint3D newY); unable to compile

Nebeor

I tried to use VWTransform's void SetRotation(VWPoint3D newZ, VWPoint3D newY);
Unfortunately the compiler complains with LNK2019: unresolved external symbol.

I have encountered this bug earlier on, but strange enough, I succeeded yesterday to compile, but I was not able to do the same today. 

Am I the only one who has issues with this function? I cannot make sense out of this situation.

Here you have the complete error:

Error    LNK2019    unresolved external symbol "public: void __cdecl VWFC::Math::VWTransformMatrix::SetRotation(class VWFC::Math::VWPoint3D,class VWFC::Math::VWPoint3D)" (?SetRotation@VWTransformMatrix@Math@VWFC@@QEAAXVVWPoint3D@23@0@Z) referenced in function "public: bool __cdecl NotRelevant::NotRelevantMethod(double &,double &,double &,double &,double &,double &,double &,bool &,char * * &,bool)" (?NotRelevantMethod@NotRelevant@@QEAA_NAEAN000000AEA_NAEAPEAPEAD_N@Z)

However I am checking the VWSDK 2016 (the oldest I have still available here)

VWTransformMatrix.h seems to declare that function, but I cannot find a definition for it, neither inline in VWTransformMatrix.h nor in VWTransformMatrix.cpp.

I suppose that it was already the case in 2015. It seems to be still the case in 2020 (even if there is a function more, but that exact signature is still only declared not defined.)

Therefore I suppose that you will have to compute your rotation another way, for example using matrix multiplication. 

void SetRotationMat(VWTransformMatrix& matrix, VWPoint3D& normal)
{
	double phi = atan(normal.y / normal.x) * kDegreesPerRadian;
	double theta = acos(normal.z / 1) * kDegreesPerRadian);
	matrix.RotateZBefore(phi);
	matrix.RotateYBefore(theta);
}

I made this workaround, it works for me!

Edited by Nebeor