is there an faster way?

As an alternate way of doing that, you can use the numeric keypad, hitting the keypad-Enter key to get you into the X-cell of the Data Display Bar, then typing the distance (or just leave the value that's already there), then keypad-Enter again to lock in that value and move on to the Y-cell, and so on.

In no time you learn to touch-type very quickly on the keypad, like book-keepers do.

This method is especially effective if you draw everything with rectangles. You click on just 2 points, as you would to draw a single line, while simultaneously touch-typing 2 distances on the keypad, and you get 4 lines. Try doing that in Autocad.

To get more complex shapes than rectangles, combine them using the Add Surface and Clip Surface commands, and later use the 2D Reshape tool to adjust those complex shapes. You can do the same Data Display Bar trick while dragging with the 2D Reshape tool, or while drag-stretching or drag-moving with the 2D select tool.

And, of course, to do all this really quickly (and this applies also to the more limited, single-line-only Autocad equivalent), you have to push the mouse with your left hand, as God intended (as shown by the fact that he put the numeric keypad on the right).

Yet another method is to double click on the rectangle or polygon tool (or push the keyboard shortcut twice). This will bring up a dialog box that allows you to enter the desired dimensions and then position the object with the next mouse click.

I find this useful at times for rectangles or lines, but I generally use one of the methods outlined above.

You may already know this but...when you are creating an object in VW's you can enter x, y, length, angle, etc. in the DATA DISPLAY BAR (DDB) as you draw. To do this: 1) Select a tool (for this demo let's use the polygon tool) 2) Begin drawing the first segment with the mouse, dragging in the desired direction 3) with the mouse still active (ie you didn't finish the segment yet) hit the TAB key. You will notice that the first field (x) in the DDB is highlighted. Hit tab two more times. You will notice that now the "length" field is highlighted. With the "length" field highlighted, type a value (say 48 -which will default to inches if you are using inches - or what ever). After entering the value hit RETURN or ENTER on the keyboard. You first segment is now "locked" to the length value you entered. 4) Click the mouse to finish the segment. 5) Repeat steps 2-4 for subsequent segments. Hope that helps...

Oh, I should add that you can also use the x & y fileds in the DDB in exactly the same way. I like to use the length because I never need to enter negative values that way. It does however create the need to use the mouse to define the angle, whereas if you were to use "x" and enter a value it would always be horizontal.... Hope that makes sense...

quote:

As an alternate way of doing that, you can use the numeric keypad, hitting the keypad-Enter key to get you into the X-cell of the Data Display Bar, then typing the distance (or just leave the value that's already there), then keypad-Enter again to lock in that value and move on to the Y-cell, and so on...

... as God intended (as shown by the fact that he put the numeric keypad on the right).

In my short career as an AutoCAD abuser, I never once used the rectangle command except to enclose blocks of text. If my employer had known of my incompetence, I'm sure he'd have fired me. But I led him to believe that I was a CAD genius and he never suspected otherwise.

I found it easier on the brain to draw in one direction at a time, hence the use of offsets and trims. That freed up my mind to contemplate the cute lady who worked in the next office.

I've learned a lot from Jan15 who gives excellent instructions about VectorWorks, without all the braggadocio that many of us take part in. Now if I could only learn how to do that two-fisted drafting.

I use the double click on the tool button 95% of the time. I know in advance the size it needs to be, and its location is by mouse click method. The only time I use click/drag/click is if I'm not sure of a size rectangle (or other object)and want it to fit an area by visual and smart cursor feedback.

What I don't like about the tool is jumping from VW8.5 to VW10.5 I find when you double click the tool, the cursor is no longer defaulted to the first measurement box.

In older versions I could double click the rectangle tool then type in the first measurement, hit tab and type in the second one without even looking at the screen, only looking up to check insertion point, hit enter (or return, which ever phrase you use) and then actual rectangle placement in my drawing with another mouse click.

Now I have to actually place the cursor in the first dimension box to start inputing the sizes.

Alan

[ 07-08-2005, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

quote:

Originally posted by david bertrand:

Now if I could only learn how to do that two-fisted drafting.

Don't even try. Few mere mortals can master it, and they only after years of study with Tibetan monks.

You might as well try to steer a car with your left hand while shifting gears with your right.

Or try to erase a chalkboard with your left while writing on it with your right.

Or, God forbid, try to use a knife and fork to cut food.

How's that for braggadocio? But thanks for the kind words, Dave.