Fix Bugs in Floor Objects

Amorphous - Julian

Question

10 answers to this question

@Amorphous - Julian 

I have noticed the same problems and I have been ringing the alarm bells about FLOORS in VW2019 now for awhile and to no avail...in fact I got a less than ideal answer from inside VW regarding their use.

Eric Berg, our intention is not phase out the floor, but rather to investigate the possibility of eventually building all the functionality of the slab into it so we can eliminate the redundancy of objects and have just one that has all the functionality of both the slab and the floor. What you are seeing here are the results of some of this behind the scenes development that we did in support of the Hardscape object. Floors can now support components and Slab Styles, even though there is no UI for users to access these options at this time. This is why you are seeing the extra objects when you ungroup a floor - because a floor is now defined by components, and it must always have at least one. And a floor component is another floor object, which is why you are seeing that.

Some of this needs to be improved, and there are still some bugs here - in particular, we will look at any rendering and texturing issues. But in the meantime, if you want a simple hybrid object like the floor used to be, you can create a pillar, which is the exact same thing.

Before receiving this response I had been told on many occasions that VW was phasing out floors as archaic, so I guess this is their way of doing that...making them unusable.

My whole take on this is one of extreme disappointment. For us there are no good, simple hybrid objects any more that we can use for easy hybrid 3D modeling, particularly for exterior paving improvements. Every other option comes with significant downsides, which is why we were still using floors.

The unfortunate answer...don't use FLOORS any more.

• Like 2

@ericjhberg

Sadly, the more we try to forge ahead with a Vectorworks BIM process, the less attractive it seems as an alternative to AutoCAD + BIM process.

The lack of a good Hybrid object for 2D-3D, is just one of the many examples. And I’ll sure you discovered this the hard way (wasting hours of your time), like we had.

Perhaps I’m just deflated with the whole thing at the moment. But it truly feels all the time I’ve invested into Vectorworks has been futile.

I fee quite ready and prepared to just go back to doing everything in 2D. I can no longer think that things may improve in another two years.

Edited by Amorphous - Julian

@Amorphous - Julian My intent was not to discourage you, although I get that way myself from time to time.

We were just having these discussions the other day, and because we are landscape architects, we came to the conclusion that while VW is not perfect (for reasons stated here and in other various posts), it is still one if the best products for our profession and our workflow. It does allow us to do significantly more (efficiency may be in question) than tradition AutoCAD 2D drafting would. That said, I cannot speak to the architectural side of things as much. I know that there is more BIM competition in the architecture spectrum that may be worth investigating, but perhaps VW is still a path forward.

Hi @Amorphous - Julian, I was just verifying the problem, first using your file, then trying to recreate the problem from scratch. What isn't apparent in your video is whether or not the Floor-objects-behaving-badly have already been ungrouped. They are ungrouped in the file you supplied so I presume they are also ungrouped in your demonstration. This makes a big difference to the verification process and investigation engineers will do. 

Could you please post a file for each of the issues you've mentioned?

• Whole/intact Floor objects demonstrating any symptoms related to: The teleporting, un-selectable/ghosting, disappearing, (these will likely all have the same cause) and 
  • Floor Objects Suddenly have  'no fill'

…so I can test and submit them to engineering. 

Engineers need either a file exhibiting the problem or steps that reliably invoke the problem (preferably both) in order to quickly validate a problem. 

Floor objects received at least one update in Vectorworks 2020 that I know of, addressing the problem of textures not showing on the top surface when applied directly, and not showing on the other surfaces when applied by-Class. 

Hi @Jeremy Best I'll prepare a file of the floor and send to you privately. 

Separately, we do continue to get other issues with the floor (which is unrelated to your above requested file).

This particular issue is the 'floor object suddenly have no fill' issue I posted on 18/10/2019.

Video below demonstrating this issue.

When I 'copy and paste' this 'floor object' to a blank file for testing. It doesn't display the same issue. 

VIDEO IN CONTEXT 

VIDEO OF THIS ISOLATED 

standalone floor.vwx

Edited by Amorphous - Julian
providing a VWX file (this one doesn't exhibit the problem)

Hi Julian, I've reviewed your videos and the file you've provided and when working with them experienced a variety of graphics/display related anomalies. Because these anomalies don't occur in a new, blank file, or with all Floor objects, in this case a data corruption will be the cause. Here's how I verified this: 

• After opening Vectorworks 2019 fresh, then your file, to mimic the actions in your first video I grouped your objects then created a SLVP. My OpenGL Viewport rendered the right 'door' correctly, but the left door was invisible. Present geometrically, but invisible. 
  • To determine if your file was the issue, I copied the two objects and went to paste them in a new, blank file but after I  went File > New… > Create blank document, the main Vectorworks window bugged out and just displayed a solid beige colour from my View bar down. - This indicates Vectorworks has processed code that was corrupt, causing bad behaviour. So either the file you've provided or one or more of the floor objects are. Almost certainly the left of the two objects seeing as it has its own display problems. 
  • Another result that confirms this: I've recreated the exact scenario, floor objects, classes with textures, applied textures to them by-class, and they worked fine and the OpenGL SLVP rendered fine. 

The behaviour you're seeing where the texture doesn't update until you edit (or move) the floor object's geometry, is known to Vectorworks and a fix is in the development queue.  You can get the object to update just by moving it, then 'Undo.' Much easier. 

Just delete the corrupt object and recreate it. 

• Like 1