WinDoor Styles - PIO vs Symbol

MaleXLR

We have hundreds of WinDoor symbols [Don't even ask!!!] - well, I say "symbols", but they have been saved as PIOs.

What I want to do is create a symbol with a WinDoor Style and save it to the Resource Manager... Fine. I can do that, but when I use it it comes in as a symbol and to make any changes (outside of the Style) we have to explode it. Once exploded, it does however still have the correct Style attached.

If I change the symbols to PIOs, everything looks great - when I place it, it is nicely exploded and I can change the form, willy nilly. BUT HOLD ON... it has lost the Style that I assigned to it and it has become its own WinDoor Style!

Is anyone using WinDoor Styles effectively?

Surely placing a symbol doesn't involve having to explode it and if it is a PIO instead, I would have to replace the style of every WinDoor element that I place so that it is linked to a "Parent".

Please identify my stupidity! What am I missing???

Thanks Jonathan. I have been doing that (both before and after options - must be a result of good training!), but in your example: If the WinDoor Style is set to "Style01" and then you create the PIO as "W01", everything is sweet and when you insert the PIO it has a symbol name of "W01" and any new instances have a style of "Style01". All good!

Then [as I discovered after manipulating dozens of bloody symbols] after closing the file and re-opening (VW 2018) the PIO forgets that it used to have a style of "Style01" and now calls itself style "W01" for all new instances...

As a workaround I wondered whether I could use a worksheet to set the style (or check that the correct style is set) after windows are in place.

It will confirm the style, but I can't change it from the worksheet, so it needs a second workaround step, ie: select similar from the design layer, then replace the style.

Again, unless I am missing something, the WinDoor styles seem like such a powerful tool, but compromised by workability!?!

image.thumb.png.70b587656bedad8172f13f38c180e6f9.png

Edited by MaleXLR
Additional info
  • Like 1