Revert back to earlier service pack

Ride

Question

I upgraded VW2019 to SP5.3 recently, and now the program hangs a lot.  It doesn't completely crash, but I get the spinning wheel repeatedly, and things slow to such a crawl it might as well have crashed.  Waiting it out until it catches up to last couple of inputs takes too long - better to just force quit, lose the work and try again.

Can someone tell me how to revert back to 5.2, or even 5.1.  This didn't happen with those service packs.

Are there any more updates coming for 2019?  Or is this as good as it gets (which isn't good).

Thanks

VW 2019 sp5.3

Macbook Pro mid-2015 Mojave

9 answers to this question

• Administrator

@Ride You can revert to a previous SP version by running the Vectorworks updater. Go to Applications>Vectorworks 2019>Vectorworks Updater 2019 > Click on Advanced Options  + Option Key down> Change Version then choose the version that you would like to revert. Before going into this direction, try the Repair option to see if that helps.

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 3.37.33 PM.png

On 10/17/2019 at 8:46 PM, JuanP said:

@Ride You can revert to a previous SP version by running the Vectorworks updater. Go to Applications>Vectorworks 2019>Vectorworks Updater 2019 > Click on Advanced Options  + Option Key down> Change Version then choose the version that you would like to revert. Before going into this direction, try the Repair option to see if that helps.

Screen Shot 2019-10-17 at 3.37.33 PM.png

@JuanP would you be able to explain a little bit what the Repair facility actually does? I use it periodically but have never really known why/when I should be using it + when it says 13,000 files repaired like yesterday what that means... Thanks!

• Like 2
  • Administrator

@Tom W. What the repair does is for every file in the Vectorworks installation you have, it will verify that it exists and compare a MD5 hash of the file with what the hash should be. If a file is missing or has different contents (hashes don't match) then it will repair the file by downloading the correct file and copying it in place of the missing or changed file. "Change Version" does the same thing as repair, but instead of the version you have (the value stored in VWVersion.txt), it uses the version you pick and repairs using that. I hope that helps. 

• Like 2

@JuanP that does help thank you, although I have no idea what MD5 hashes are! But I guess I'm interested to know 1) how do these files come to be missing or have different contents in the first place + 2) what are the consequences of running the software with missing/damaged files + therefore what effect (on performance) can running Repair have? I don't think it's a that widely known/discussed facility + I've certainly never seen anyone say it is good housekeeping to run it once a month or whatever... I ran it yesterday because things were becoming very slow for me + getting a bit weird - RAM use was up in the 50's - and 13,000 files repaired is far more than I've ever had before + since running it RAM is back where it should be but whether this is due to the repair or because of something else I don't know... Thanks.

7 hours ago, zoomer said:

I also wonder why, when repeated, why Repair will always repair some files.

like @zoomer, every time I have run Repair, it finds _something to repair, for ex; I ran it 3x in a row without opening VWX 2022.

First time it reported 56 files repaired, second time 1 file repaired, third time it reported yet another file repaired.

Also—just re-booted the M1 MBP, ran the updater/repair again & it repaired 1 file yet again.

Curiouser & curiouser

Edited by mjm
added reboot info