DTM generation error

I imagine this has been addressed before, but I can't find it.

VW10.5, mac 9.2

The error code I get is "misc errors, code 20,2"

I'm trying to create a dtm from 3d contours that I've imported. On this iteration, I filtered the contours and replaced them with 3D points using the built in functions.

Now, going back through this processed data in detail, I'm finding that there are quite a few instances where the 3D points, generated by these program functions, are duplicated. No wonder the dtm processor is choking.

I think the duplications are occurring where the imported contours are represented as a series of polylines with ends touching. Since this is a pretty good size model, going through it by hand is not practical - there were over 100,000 3D points in the model when I tried it without filtering - about 9,000 now.

Perhaps there should be a routine to check for, and fix, duplicated 3D points. If there's not one in the works, I'll write one for myself. Also, the routine that checks for polyline crossovers would be infinitely more useful if it placed a marker at each of the locations.

Well, after eliminating something over 1400 duplicated 3D points, the dtm generates ... and looks pretty reasonable. I have to admit to being pleasantly surprised at the speed - 21 seconds on a 5 year old G3 Mac! I'm semi-amazed. There were 7451 points in the input. Clearly, the dtm engine is fast enough for serious civil work.

I'll have to add some dummy points and breaklines to force it into a more reasonable interpretation in some of the areas where the data points are insufficient definition, however I'm delighted with the speed ... once the dataset is cleaned.

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

quote:

Bill, do you still have a copy of your original file? Would you mind sending it to me with a detailed description of your workflow? I'd love to have it for testing some filtering scripts. Thanks!

I do Robert, but it will be a few days before I can send it off. My main puter gave up the ghost Friday. Now I'm just doing light internetting on my old 6500 and I won't be able to access that hard drive until my replacement unit gets here. Funny thing, in twenty years of using Macs, this is my second power supply failure ... or at least I think that's the problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Originally posted by Robert Anderson:

quote:

Bill, do you still have a copy of your original file? Would you mind sending it to me with a detailed description of your workflow? I'd love to have it for testing some filtering scripts. Thanks!

Send me your email address and I'll send you the files and sequence.