workflow for irrigation plant emitters

We are planning to develop symbols of emitters for plants (for easy placement on drawings):

1 and 5 gallon container plants receive 2 emitters

15 gallon container plants receive 3 emitters

The workflow is to use symbols (with emitters and laterals with the correct classes in the symbol) that would be placed at plant locations.

Once the symbols are placed, the symbols would be converted to group and then ungrouped and then at least one emitter at each plant is connected to a valve using the irrigation lateral tool - the result is all emitters and laterals will be part of the terrific VW irrigation schedules.

When the plan needs revising, the emitters would be shifted as needed manually (without the use of the symbols).

I look forward to critiques - 

Edited by bob cleaver

We are planning to develop symbols of emitters for plants (for easy placement on drawings):

1 and 5 gallon container plants receive 2 emitters

15 gallon container plants receive 3 emitters

The workflow is to use symbols (with emitters and laterals with the correct classes in the symbol) that would be placed at plant locations.

Once the symbols are placed, the symbols would be converted to group and then ungrouped and then at least one emitter at each plant is connected to a valve using the irrigation lateral tool - the result is all emitters and laterals will be part of the terrific VW irrigation schedules.

When the plan needs revising, the emitters would be shifted as needed manually (without the use of the symbols).

I look forward to critiques - 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'm curious! Why not use the Drip Pipe (no emitters) and place the emitters (in outlets) on the pipe. You could also use Live Data Viz to show the plants per size parameter. This would make all emitters connected to network allowing for proper calculations.

I will try what you are proposing, might be great but also might be a lot of extra steps which can add to error. But hey! I haven't tried it so you might be on to something.

Thank you Brian

Using the drip pipe makes sense in lieu of an irrigation lateral for the emitter symbol and connecting the emitters throughout the planting area 

Would there be a potential error placing the correct number of emitters at each plant ?  

Live Data Viz also makes sense - I have not used this feature  

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you are snaking the tube then I find it easier to do tube first. It all depends on the plantings. If they are close to each other I prefer to use a branched network instead of one long continuous line. the long line produces to great a pressure for the system to run correctly. A branching network that is tied back to itself will have a more even flow and less pressure.

• Like 2