Advice on a purchase

I am trying to decide if I should purchase a new Apple G5. I am currently working on a two year old iBook that is just not fast enough to do the 3D modeling and rendering that I need to. My problem is that I can only afford the 2GHz G5.

Does anyone have this computer and if so how well does it work for them?

Should I hold out and try to get a 2.3 or 2.7GHz machine?

Any input is appriciated

Thanks, Ben

Ben,

I've JUST got a 2GHz with 2Gb (haven't even updated my profile yet)-with a 20" screen and I can tell you I'm as happy as a clam.

Compared to my 550 powerbook everything is SNAPPY.

I haven't run VW11 or 11.5 on it so I can't comment on any of the reports of slowness or crashes which have been circulating recently. However, I have noticed some strange dragging behaviour (this is in VW10.5.1) which I haven't seen before. -perhaps this is OS10.4?

I was going to get a 2.3, but for 25% more cost I figured I wasn't going to see a 25% increase in performance (pure guess here), and, with Intel on the horizon (whatever the heck that will actually mean in real terms), I figured I'd save the money to pay my Tax Bill :-O -then I might be able to afford to upgrade my VW(12?)

but getting back to the topic...........

One model I have is a Thermionic Valve (Vacuum Tube for US readers) which has multiple light sources bouncing around inside glass with reflective perforated metal etc etc etc.

The G5 takes 3minutes to render it compared with 16minutes on the Pbook.

Another model I have could not be "live" rotated in the Pbook in Wire frame -let alone Open GL. The G5 can rotate it in Open GL (even if a little choppy)

I'd say get the 2Ghz and a bare minimum of 1Gb RAM.

HTH,

N.

I use a G5 dual processor (1.8 ghz) at work and it's rendering time is great. I've found that the dual processors are really the way to go, since VW will take advantage of that aspect of your machine. The theory about dual processors gets a little esoteric, so don't be fooled by the ghz numbers (a dual 1.8 machine SHOULD outperform a 3.6 ghz processor, given that the program is set up to take advantage of that type of system).

As far as openGL is concerned, that processing is almost entirely video card based, so your performance there will not depend on the processor of your computer. Get yourself a good (video game quality) video card and your openGL will be much improved.

quote:

Originally posted by grant_PD:

given that the program is set up to take advantage of that type of system).

But only the Renderworks part, Vectorworks itself is not written or takes "direct" advantage of dual processing.

Given that most of Apples G5 towers are dual processor, one just really has to decide how much you want to spend, based on the law of diminishing returns.

We went for a dual 2 ghz G5 but I guess if the money was going begging would have got the 2.7

Whilst a 23" monitor would have been nice, nearly double the price of a 20" could not be justified and we got the 20" instead. Both very happy purchases.

You'll certainly notice the difference from your old system, but I think you'd find it harder to percieve the difference in day to day running of a 2 ghz against a 2.3 or 2.7 ghz model.

I'd tend to go as much ram as you could afford though. 1 gig minimum, with 1.5 and beyond ideal.

Happy buying

Alan

You're absolutely right about the Dual advantage only being in Renderworks.

You're also dead on about the SIGNIFICANT price increase in monitors. I love the Cinema Display 23" monitor, but can't justify the price (went for two 19" flatscreens instead).

Ram? start at a gig. I think everyone will agree to that.