(section)viewports not rendering 2d items

Hello all,

We are stille using VW 2018 because VW2019 did not render 2d items properly in section-viewports: text, arrowheads, dimensionlisne etc are not rendered. I  installed VW 2020 last week only to disciver that this 'known bug' is still not solved. Are we the only office that uses 2d items in sections viewport that we would like to see rendered?

I discussed this at lenght with our distributor when e first encountered the problem in VW 2019 and they were expecting the problem to be solved in VW 2020.

As we have 200+ drawings set us this way we wil have to stick with VW 2018 for another year. That is, if it will be solved in a next upgrade/update otherwise VW 2018 may be our last VW version...

Regards,459186243_planVW2020.thumb.png.377a099ab39a9ee00c8fb5da349fad2c.png

Frank Schnater

Hi Frank, (achieved in VW 2019)

We do all our annotation in the design layers and copy it over to the viewport annotation. Nevertheless I was intrigued.

So I went to our ground floor of our 3d model and inserted a dimension (1926mm) and converted it to layer plane/3d (not screen plane) in the OIP and manipulated it to the correct plane using Control L (Vertical) You can see it on the right image model view in front of the door.

I then went to a section viewport of the model and the dimension wouldnt appear ....until I checked "display planar objects" and it appeared!

I may have misunderstood your question and we do all our work in 3D, but I hope this might help in some way to get you from A to B

Regards

David

1422493188_frankVW.thumb.JPG.047566438d824f6df21b82b1d9be1efd.JPG 

Hello David,

Thank you for your reply.

Strange.

Attached 2 snippets of a drawing: one with a viewport (top-plan view) and the other with a section-viewport ('Display planar Objects', 'Display 2D Components' and 'Display 2D' Fills all 'on'). The '2591' dimension-lines are in Plane 'layer'. The missing arrowheads are an 'known bug' they told me. The doors are missing their swing because the section-viewport only displays the 3d porion of hybrid symbols (so I could solve this by adding a swing in the 3d portion of all symbols, but I'd rather have the option to display either the 2d or 3d portion, and I certainly don't like it that Nemetschek decides to change this behaviour from one version to the other. This is not a fatal problem though.). The difference in dimension appearance and dashed line appaearance: I don't know!

The third screenshot is the same drawing with both viewports exported back to VW2018.

Regards,

Frank

1492137026_viewportsvw2018.thumb.png.8f78a1cc85c5d85407dad6ed060999cb.png

viewport.png

section viewport.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Frank Schnater,

Could you post or send me a file showing this problem?

My initial hunch is that your "horizontal section" is a "regular section" that was created from an elevation viewport? If so, try creating a horizontal section by using the "Create Horizontal Section" command in the View menu (in VW 2019 or 2020) and see if you get different results.

Hello Matt,

Thanks for the tip; I didn't know these functions yet.

Unfortunately the result is exactly the same. Or maybe I should say 'luckily' as it would even confuse me more if two methods that I would expect to do the same would give different results!

I'm using a drawing that was set up in VW2018 as a test file (as we have drawings for 900 dwellings set up in VW2018 that we would like to keep using), but I'll set-up a test- file  in VW2020 to see if I get the same results tomorrow.

Frank

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, Frank Schnater said:

Hello Matt (and others),

attached a test with a 'clean' VW2020 file: same results: 2d elements don't display properly in section-viewports. I also include the VW2020 file; maybe I'm just doing something very obvious wrong. (I hope...)

Frank

screenshot from clean VW2020 file.png

test 2020.vwx

Thanks for the file, Frank!

I exported the file back to VW 2018 and tested from there to 2020. The viewports displayed on 2018 SP6 and 2019 SP5 correctly. However, I did find another file showing issues in 2019 SP5 as well. I do see the problem with your file in 2020. A bug has already been submitted on this (VB-160845).  I attached your file with some notes that may help in getting this fixed sooner.

Sorry I don't have an immediate solution for you but hopefully this will get addressed soon.

Best,

Matt

Hello Matt,

Thank you for the effort. I also got response from Design Express with more or less the same information.

A serious disappointment: we have set up a lot of drawings in VW2017/2018 with this method so now we can not move away from VW2018. This means we miss out on improvements. We will also get more computer issues, as VW2018 seems not to be 100% compatible with OS X Catalina (standard install on our new workstations). I already noticed that when I open multiple VW2018 files at once some of the windows remain empty; I have to close the window and open it again to continue.

This should not happen with professional software.

Regards,

Frank

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Matt,

The VW2018 incompatability issue appears to be worse than we thought. When working with 2 or more drawings open frequently 1 becomes 'invisible' in 3d (OpenGL issue?). Restarting VW solves this. This is now happening about every half hour or so. This really needs to be solved. I reported this problem a year ago and we have been expecting it to be solved in VW2020. The past year we continued with VW2018, but now fixing is crucial as VW 2018 doesn't work properly anymore on our newer computers.

Design Express told me this issue is scheduled for fixing in the 2021 version which would mean we have to restart VW every half hour for the next 12 months! Not acceptable.

Regards,

Frank Schnater

• 1 month later...