VW 2020 Crashing Often - Video Card or Multiple Monitor Problem?

boldoutdoors

Question

I have been using Vectorworks for many years now and have come across instances of it crashing, but since upgrading to VW 2020 I've never had it crash so often - pretty much every time I use it.  I'll be working on a simple 2D top/plan drawing and then my monitors flicker off then back on and VW is completely frozen and it is a blank white screen.  This past time, however, when the monitors went black they then powered off shortly thereafter. I was listening to music at the time and it continued to play in the background with the monitors off so it seems like the pc was still working, but I could get no response from the monitors so I had to restart.  I've updated to the newest drivers for my video card - did a clean install and updated to SP1.  I'm wondering if there is a problem having VW span over multiple monitors.  For instance, I keep my main drawing area on my middle monitor and all of my tools and window palettes on another monitor.  

This never happens unless VW is open and in use.  I welcome any ideas. 

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

So after trying to test different scenarios I've figured out part of the problem, but not the initial issue.  What I've figured out is that after this happened the first time, my drawing became "corrupted".  It allowed me to open the drawing after everything went white and froze when I re-opened VW.  I was able to work on the drawing for a good 5 minutes or so before this happened again.  I created different copies of the drawing and had mixed results for the amount of time it functioned before crashing - anywhere from 5 seconds to a few minutes.  Thankfully, I had a backup of the original file before the crash happened.  This is the only file that does not crash from the group of files (all from the same project).  I decided to make a copy of it before I tested this scenario.  I opened the functioning copy of the backup file and a file known to crash.  I then copied the most recent plan drawing from the file that crashes and pasted it into a design area on the good file.  This simple act immediately corrupted the good file.  I'm wondering if there is a specific element in the drawing that could be corrupting the files.  Most of the drawing is made up of 2d lines and there is one area with an image fill.  I still don't know what would have crashed the system initially though.  Hopefully, it does not happen again.

Guest Alex Sagatov

Hello @boldoutdoors ,

From your original post, my first route would have been something related to the graphics card such as possible overheating. From the original description, it definitely sounded more hardware based (Monitors Flicker, Solid Colored Screen, Still hearing music when monitors were down, etc.).

From your follow up post, it sounds like it may be more file based. From your description, I’ve never heard of a file causing these results, but its definitely worth testing.

If I send you an upload link, can you send me a copy of one of the files where you are crashing a lot so I can see if:

1) I am finding any corruption.
2) I am able to replicate any issues on my end.
3) There is anything in the file that stands out.

I use multiple monitors on my two machines here (granted, I normally keep Vectorworks on my main display), so I don’t think the multiple monitors in and of themselves is an issue.

Thank you

Yes, I can send one of them to you.  I just tested again.  The file opens just fine, but I tried to zoom with the mouse scroll and it immediately froze, the screens then went black.  They came back to the desktop with VW completely white.  I had to force close.  Hopefully, you can see if it is something with the file itself.  If it doesn't mess up on your end then maybe it has to do with some local APPdata or ProgramData files?