Using Project Sharing across mixed PC and Mac user environment and server

anton5

Question

We are a Mac based office using vectorworks woth project sharing across the majority of our architectural projects as we have multiple users on each, and it’s been working fine.

we are now looking at setting up some teams with pc’s instead (so they can also run revit), and we were wondering how the project sharing works across pc and Mac, and if anyone have had any problems with this?

in effect some teams might have to do crossover work between Mac saved and pc saved vectorworks files via project sharing.

any thoughts and suggestions would be helpful.

many thanks 

kind regards anton 

Edited by anton5

5 answers to this question

Many thanks @Nicolas Goutte for your answer, and the link is very useful indeed. 

I guess the issue than with changing the network protocol from AFP to SMB is that it changes the way other 'non-project' Vectorworks files integrate across the server network and it's users also, such as that an open file on a pc (using SMB) might not seem open from within a Mac (using AFP), which could lead to overplayed work / corrupted files I understand.

kind regards anton

13 minutes ago, anton5 said:

Many thanks @Nicolas Goutte for your answer, and the link is very useful indeed. 

I guess the issue than with changing the network protocol from AFP to SMB is that it changes the way other 'non-project' Vectorworks files integrate across the server network and it's users also, such as that an open file on a pc (using SMB) might not seem open from within a Mac (using AFP), which could lead to overplayed work / corrupted files I understand.

It has little to do with project or non-project VW files. The root problem is the different lock types between SMB and AFP. Of course, as you are supposed to share project-type VW files, the risk to have a real damage is higher.

That is why the "one protocol only" way is recommended, for all VW files.