Find Text

Unless i'm doing something wrong, the Find text tool doesn't work.

If i have say 15 instances of a specific text box and i do a "find and replace", it'll replace correctly, however if i only "find" it will only highlight 1 item, although say there are more (often this is wrong!). am i missing something, or is the tool broken?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Matster I think this is actually working the way it was designed, although I definitely see how this could be changed to work better. Currently, the Find or Replace Text command will just find the "Next" string. This means that it will find the first string that matches the entered value and that is it. If you replace that string and then re-run the command, it will find the next string that has the entered value. I think it would be useful to have it Find all instances of a specific value, not just the next one! 

• Like 2

Thanks for getting back to me, at least i'm not hunting forever! but it does seem very limiting, if it only finds one of the instances.

If this doesn't work, then as far as i can see, there is't way to search and find all text boxes with a specific piece of text in, which is pretty much a feature in every program ever written 😂

Although maybe there is a way...

1 - put the text in a record..

2 - create a report...

3 - export the report...

4 - open it in Excel...

5 - find the text you want...

6 - cross-reference the row number back to the Vectorworks worksheet

7 - then select it from the worksheet

A simple 7 stages! 😂🤣

my application for this use of text, is to create a system schematic, each text box represents a specific piece of equipment that i generated from a spreadsheet, so it is feasible a callout style box could work, although it may be a little clumsy. however the same text-box/callout would need to locate multiple time across the drawing, meaning i'd still have to be able to search for where it is located.

That said, if i could highlight where all the boxes were and edit them all at the same time, that would be useful.

obviously this is no good for my current drawings, but I will look into seeing is they're useful for future use!

regarding Calllouts... I cannot work out how to put the key legend down when using it on a second sheet. on the first sheet, the callout numbers are created and the keynote drops in automatically, when i annotate the second sheet, it numbers the callouts, but the keynote legend never appears! weird!

1 hour ago, Matster said:

the same text-box/callout would need to locate multiple time across the drawing, meaning i'd still have to be able to search for where it is located.

You can use data base worksheets to locate items if you right click in the row header and click "select item". (It has to be a single item - i.e. not summed or summarised).

image.thumb.png.31362d9ead7bbeadd64e81dd23a92a2d.png

1 hour ago, Matster said:

I cannot work out how to put the key legend down when using it on a second sheet. on the first sheet, the callout numbers are created and the keynote drops in automatically, when i annotate the second sheet, it numbers the callouts, but the keynote legend never appears! weird!

Yes keynotes can only be on one keynote legend. You can choose which legend the callout keynote appears but it can only appear on one legend.

image.thumb.png.b3602404c20f3874fcd86a93f15fe7bc.png

Here's another thread discussing getting keynotes the same across multiple sheets and keynote legends.

Cheers

• 1 year later...