Door/window texture - 2020

SarahISO

Question

Hello, 

Since upgrading to 2020 we now seem unable to add textures to doors and windows. Any ideas why this might be?

I've made sure the class the door is allocated to have ' textures - use at creation' turned on. But we are a bit stumped as to why non of us are able to change the finish from the initial one that is assigned. 

Thanks in advance. 

Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 14.20.34.png

• Like 1

20 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@SarahISO This is a known issue that our engineering team is looking into. The workaround would be to apply the texture to the Classes for the Door or Window parts, in the settings. If you apply the Texture to the entire object, directly in the Render tab, it will not work. You can refer to this case number to check the status of this issue:

VB-165320

Thanks!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SarahISO said:

Hello, 

Since upgrading to 2020 we now seem unable to add textures to doors and windows. Any ideas why this might be?

I've made sure the class the door is allocated to have ' textures - use at creation' turned on. But we are a bit stumped as to why non of us are able to change the finish from the initial one that is assigned. 

Thanks in advance. 

Screenshot 2019-10-10 at 14.20.34.png

@SarahISO Thanks Sarah for spotting this. Out of interest are your 2019 files imported into 2020 also losing the window/door renders? (assuming you are upgrading existing 2019 files of course?)

17 hours ago, David S said:

@SarahISO Thanks Sarah for spotting this. Out of interest are your 2019 files imported into 2020 also losing the window/door renders? (assuming you are upgrading existing 2019 files of course?)

Hi David, 

657678277_Screenshot2019-10-11at10_37_33.thumb.png.5927a87e40a863fe39d83c0a536c5e83.png

I've just tested on a 2019 file and it is also happening there - see attached. 

same here. converted 2019 file. textures on doors and louvers don't work in 2020. Renders 2020 software unusable. still.  I may just go to paying for an upgrade of the previous year's version when a new version comes out. No sense in owning software that is so full of holes and unstable. The beta testing efforts clearly are not working. This is basic stuff that ought to be caught before being foisted on us.

• Love 2
On 10/10/2019 at 2:26 PM, jblock said:

e that our engineering team is looking into. The workaround would be to apply the texture to the Classes for the Door or Window parts, in the settings. If you apply the Texture to the entire object, direc

@jblock Will VB 165320 ( cannot render doors and windows) be fixed in 2020 SP2 please? Unfortunately the work around would require the multiple addition of new classes and sub classes relating to new/existing doors and windows as well as render type. This will inevitably mess with our workflow and in principle should not be necessary.  Many thanks to let us know.

It looks like this is actually working as designed. Textures were never meant to be assigned to Doors or Windows as an overall Texture being applied to the entire object. Instead, you should use the Classes and parts in the Settings to control the visual attributes of the Objects. We weren't really aware that this was a common workflow for a lot of users. We are working on introducing a new way to be able to texture objects without having to create so many classes while still be controlled in the Render tab of the Object Info Palette. I'm not sure exactly when this will be introduced by we are aware of this workflow now and will be sure to keep this in mind with our upcoming tasks on Doors and Windows.

Thanks!

• Like 2

One quick workaround would be to assign the Texture to the Class that the Door or Window belongs to. This will apply the Texture the overall object in a similar way. This way, you wouldn't need to separately assign Classes to each part of the object, but just one overall Class.

• Like 2

@jblock How very disappointing. I paid over £2000.00 GBP for my new x4 licenses for 2020 today. I still can't reasonably use VW2020 on any of our 4 licenses. .  Your downside up workaround makes no logical sense either. Neither does your assertion that this is not the way Vectorworks should work as this way of rendering objects worked in EVERY previous version of the software. I will take this up with VSS UK tomorrow. @Tamsin Slatter Lets take this off line Tamsin. or @Domas I don't think my problem has been understood correctly. Thank you.

• Love 1

@David S I understand that this is frustrating. I am not saying that your workflow is wrong, but it is not a workflow that will work right now. As I said before, we are working on changing this to improve applying textures overall and this type of workflow (or something similar) will be possible once we make those changes. 

• Like 2

I take it this is still the case in VW 2021? It seems crazy that there is no way to create door styles with different textures without creating a load of extra classes? We typically just have a class for external doors and a class for internal doors, but will have a wide range of materials required - adding extra classes everytime we need a new door material isn't viable, not only will it mean that doors will switch off in viewports that are already referenced them but in most of our projects the class system is defined by the client and we aren't able to add additional classes.

I would have thougt materials would be a logical solution to this but as far as I can tell (we haven't started using them yet) they aren't able to be applied to doors (it also doesnt seem to be a feature of VW 2022) which seems to miss the point of having materials int he first place?

1 hour ago, Tim Harland said:

create door styles with different textures without creating a load of extra classes?

Hmmh,

I always use "Container" Classes for PIOs and Symbols like for my Doors.

And I have lots of "Material" Classes for my Materials, like M_WOOD_... and such.

I assign the Doors Sub Classes with my Material Classes in the Door Style.

If that doesn't work for you or is not what you want/need,

and if the new 2022 Texture Tools won't help,

could "Data Visualization" help in any way ?