I wish for correct mapping on doors, again

bc

Question

I know, I know, been asked for many many.

OK see my example below please.

I have created a custom door leaf out of generic solids within the symbol used for my custom door.

Note that on the left, when I am inside the symbol, the texture maps correctly (or the way I want them to be) but once I exit, it's the same old, same old, same old.   I mean, seriously?

VW doors have been mapping this way for freakin' ever!

So my question is:

Why can't VW handle this?

I WISH it could. 

It's one of those embarrassing things that prevent serious referrals.

It can do a huge amount of gigantic stuff but not this tiddlywinks?  So there really isn't a parametric VectorWorksAround for this one?

Thank you.

bc

1773166148_insidesymbol.thumb.png.c8dc6fb7138b986ce9e0bb19b8c1b37a.png1611300779_symbolusedasdoor.thumb.png.39dc4e5238d87844742214a6ef2301d2.png        

• Like 2

3 answers to this question

Sadly, I wonder if Vw will ever provide correct ‘real world’ texture mapping on PIOs like this...

As an experiment, if you do the incorrect texture mapping inside the symbol (by rotating the textures all 90 degrees from where you want them to end up), can you force Vw to make it look correct on exiting the symbol? Just a thought.

• Like 1

No joy,  rDesign.

@Christiaan  and others.  I anticipate my wish to be fruitless, but my question still begs an answer:

Certainly there must be some nightmare coding issue? 

It would be somewhat forgivable then, but to think that after all this time, this little thing (and others) can't get attention is perverse.

If it was a coding issue, why utilize a code that creates such an issue?

So someone initially says, "We can't texture doors correctly with this code but that is fine because we CAN make extrudes and walls and model solids that emulate M.C. Escher. "

I know Matt Panzer and a few others check in occasionally and kudos for that morsel but now that we're back to a community board left to fend for itself?  It's disheartening.

Maybe if I knew my annoyance would lessen.

So to anyone in VW land, if you happen to be listening, I am asking:

• Like 2