ROOF COMPONENTS INTERACTION WITH ASSOCIATED WALLS

drelARCH

Hi all,

I am experiencing unpredictable behaviour from roof object associated with four walls. 

The moment I change eave overhang... some components shot out and will not stay clipped by walls (as they are meant to be)...I got the feeling that everything is very fragile and not stable at all. ....but it might me learning new subject

Please see image with section  with arrows pointing to right place where components should finish. I enclose also settings for roof style, roof object OIP.

I have to say I spent good two days trying to get understand how roof components can interact with associated wall using edge condition but I am giving up on this...

Hope there might be something small that I overlook, or little to change in order to get this working.

Very much appreciated all your help.

I would be happy to provide file if needed.

Pavol

Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-07 o 15.22.34.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-07 o 15.26.49.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-07 o 15.27.12.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-07 o 15.27.25.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-07 o 15.27.36.png

However I would very much appreciated if someone from you more experienced could help me to get understand how roof object with bounded walls works and how to correctly set it up to achieve desired result.

Please see attached section drawing image and other corresponding informations with my set up. 

Questions:

- where can I measure bearing height in section ( i have bearing inset set to 430mm as implied in section...), #4 component of roof style set to datum (bottom of component).

- in order to work bounds properly  roof object and walls must be on same layer?

- top of the bounding wall is set to one same story level (as seen on section)......how to release it so that top of wall components can touch corresponding roof components following edge conditions...?

- when I set manual bound offset to other than 0 it take priority over wall associated bound setting...? why?

Sorry for dummy questions, but I really tried hard to get my head around for already few days but hit my limits...I guess partially because o english terminology...

Thanks for your time.

Pavol

Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-10 o 12.06.01.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-10 o 12.41.09.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-10 o 12.41.27.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-10 o 12.29.20.png

Snímka obrazovky 2019-10-10 o 12.42.59.png

Edited by drelARCH
  • Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@drelARCH,

Walls bound to a roof can be clipped by the roof, but they do not automatically extend themselves to the roof.  Try selecting the wall, click the "Components" button in the Object Info palette, select all of the components, click "Edit, and set the offset for the top of the components so that they're higher than the roof.  I think this is what you're looking for.