Revision history worksheet

Ross Harris

Question

@Nikolay Zhelyazkov is it possible in the 'project revision history' worksheet to show all the revisions and equivalent issue number or add a column to the 'sheet revision log' worksheet to show the issue at the time of revision?

At present the 'project revision history' worksheet only shows a new entry when a new issue is generated and the revisions at that point (completely excludes issue 2 in the attached example) - it seems odd that a revision history worksheet doesn't chart all the revisions. To correlate the missing revisions you need the sheet revision log worksheet issue and revisions requires cross referencing both worksheets - would be great to have this info in one place. Some clients will argue that they shouldn't have to pay for revisions they can't see... 😣 like in the attached when there are 3 revisions but only two logged in the project revision history. Also makes things less cluttered not having worksheets everywhere.

Awesome work on title blocks v3 btw 😀

Thanks!

Rev history current.png

Edited by Aspect_Design
  • Like 1

4 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Aspect_Design,

From VW2020 there is an easy way to extract revision data into worksheets, like extracting data from regular records, see - http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2020/eng/index.htm#t=VW2020_Guide%2FSetup%2FProject_revision_and_issue_history_worksheets.htm&rhsearch=title block&rhhlterm=title block&rhsyns=

You could use these formulas to add the revisions in your Project Revision History worksheet, just make sure you are adding them before or after the issue data, as otherwise you will break the worksheet. The other thing you could do is to create your custom worksheet with the desired information.

Let me know if you need any assistance.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

Sorry for bringing this old topic back up again. I've been looking around the forum to work out how to create a Customised Revision History Worksheet.

Thanks for answering all these worksheet questions since July 2018, but after viewing all those posts I still couldn't turn it over in my mind😅 It would be appreciated if you could help on the problems I have...Btw, I have checked out the Project Revision History and Sheet Revision Log reports in 2020. Don't get me wrong. They are briliant, but they're just not quite fitting in my company's working flow...

We tend to only use Revison Data and use it for issuing as well the same time, so people don't bother entering both when they are mostly the same all the time. Here comes the question. In the Project Revision History report, it still use Title Block Issue Data.Date. I'm trying to work out if we can use Title Block Revision Data.Date instead. I tried the following methods to get it to work:

1. Replace the formula in the report right away, the cell will just show nothing.

image.thumb.png.cdc524c269c29573102140b3d1540096.png

2. I set up a new Database by =DATABASE((PON='Title Block Border')), and put ='Title Block Revision Data-4'.'Date' in the column. But will end up in following.

image.thumb.png.2f13b76919f1f6e55796c368125815d2.png

3. Last but not least, I tried formulas below in a single cell, nothing worked.

a. =SUBSTRING(FORMATFIELD('Title Block Revision Data-4'.'Date'), '', 1)

b. =SUBSTRING(FORMATFIELD('Title Block Revision Data-4', 'Date'), '', 1)

c. =SUBSTRING(FORMATFIELD('Title Block Revision Data-4', 'Revision Date'), '', 1)

d. =SUBSTRING(FORMATFIELD('Title Block Revision Data', 'Date'), '', 1)

So just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or it's just not possible. From the second method can clearly see the data is there tho...🤦‍♂️ See below the outcome I'm trying to get to:

image.thumb.png.624a6c8ca36fd4d1a20155c7408eeb28.png

Had a second thought, I think it could be there's no 'record destination' enclosed to the single cell...but I'm not really sure how to include (R IN ['Part Data']) in the formula from there🤔

Thanks for helping!

Edited by Tbai
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
7 hours ago, Tbai said:

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov,

Sorry for bringing this old topic back up again. I've been looking around the forum to work out how to create a Customised Revision History Worksheet.

Thanks for answering all these worksheet questions since July 2018, but after viewing all those posts I still couldn't turn it over in my mind😅 It would be appreciated if you could help on the problems I have...Btw, I have checked out the Project Revision History and Sheet Revision Log reports in 2020. Don't get me wrong. They are briliant, but they're just not quite fitting in my company's working flow...

We tend to only use Revison Data and use it for issuing as well the same time, so people don't bother entering both when they are mostly the same all the time. Here comes the question. In the Project Revision History report, it still use Title Block Issue Data.Date. I'm trying to work out if we can use Title Block Revision Data.Date instead. I tried the following methods to get it to work:

1. Replace the formula in the report right away, the cell will just show nothing.

image.thumb.png.cdc524c269c29573102140b3d1540096.png

2. I set up a new Database by =DATABASE((PON='Title Block Border')), and put ='Title Block Revision Data-4'.'Date' in the column. But will end up in following.

image.thumb.png.2f13b76919f1f6e55796c368125815d2.png

3. Last but not least, I tried formulas below in a single cell, nothing worked.

a. =SUBSTRING(FORMATFIELD('Title Block Revision Data-4'.'Date'), '', 1)

b. =SUBSTRING(FORMATFIELD('Title Block Revision Data-4', 'Date'), '', 1)

c. =SUBSTRING(FORMATFIELD('Title Block Revision Data-4', 'Revision Date'), '', 1)

d. =SUBSTRING(FORMATFIELD('Title Block Revision Data', 'Date'), '', 1)

So just wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or it's just not possible. From the second method can clearly see the data is there tho...🤦‍♂️ See below the outcome I'm trying to get to:

image.thumb.png.624a6c8ca36fd4d1a20155c7408eeb28.png

Had a second thought, I think it could be there's no 'record destination' enclosed to the single cell...but I'm not really sure how to include (R IN ['Part Data']) in the formula from there🤔

Thanks for helping!

Hello @Tbai,

From what I am understanding, you are trying to get something like document wide revision data, meaning, adding 1 revision adds it to all selected TBBs and it is in fact just a single revision?

The problem with this approach is that Revision Data in TBBs is actually not document wide, each revision is unique and separately attached to TBB objects. This means that we do not store data in the record formats as in Issue Data (which makes FormatField formula work) and that is why you get empty results with your FormatField calls.

If you are making a report of revisions, it will not be easy, maybe even not possible, to have just one common date for all revisions with the same number.

That is why I think that maybe Issue Data will be more suitable for your workflow, as it is document wide and you can have a worksheet that looks the same as yours if you have some revision data in the document too. However, if you do not want to mess with both Revision and Issue data, you could simply create issues only, then change the formula in your Project Revision History Report for Current Revision to be just for the issue data record Current Revision value from the database row UI as shown in the image below:

image.png

Setting the formula like this will allow you to manually input values for Current Revision for each TBB in your report, which might get the job done for you.

I hope that helps. If not or if I have understood something wrong, let me know or send me a test file with the sample worksheet.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 2

Thanks for your prompt reply @Nikolay Zhelyazkov and looking into the problem! Yes, that's what I was trying to do.

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

The problem with this approach is that Revision Data in TBBs is actually not document wide, each revision is unique and separately attached to TBB objects. This means that we do not store data in the record formats as in Issue Data (which makes FormatField formula work) and that is why you get empty results with your FormatField calls.

That all makes sense.

1 hour ago, Nikolay Zhelyazkov said:

hat is why I think that maybe Issue Data will be more suitable for your workflow, as it is document wide and you can have a worksheet that looks the same as yours if you have some revision data in the document too. However, if you do not want to mess with both Revision and Issue data, you could simply create issues only, then change the formula in your Project Revision History Report for Current Revision to be just for the issue data record Current Revision value from the database row UI as shown in the image below

Thanks for the suggestion too. I guess that's the best bet to batch putting in issue date now and then using Title Block Manager, and use the formula setting you showed.

Much appreciated