I just noticed I can't seem to merge a v3s file into another v3s file. Is there a way to export or copy data between "scenes"? I have some really complicated scenery AND some really complicated projection mapping (fake shadows and a bunch of other silly stuff) AND a complicated rep plot AND the plot for the show. Ideally I'd like to be able to reuse and work on these separately.

Am I missing something here?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

We actually do not officially support merging v3s files. That being said, there is a hacky work around...

If you open a v3s and copy the items you want, you can then open notepad/textedit and paste "v3s-like" content into it.

If you now open a new v3s, you can then copy everything in notepad/textedit and paste into Vision.

I tried this and it worked for me, but again this is not officially supported so I cannot guarantee it will work.

I will bring up v3s merging in one of our meetings so we can see how we want to go about approaching it.

One easy thing we could probably do is just not clear the clipboard when opening new files.

This way, you could simply open a v3s, copy, open another v3s, paste 😉

Thanks, that might be a good workaround. There's a lot of stuff that doesn't really transfer like specific focuses, emissive meshes (my real problem on this one), and and tweaks to textures/camera/etc... It would be great to be able to mere or copy that data easily between scenes. This is especially important if multiple people are working on the project. 

I was able to work backwards from my most complicated file and just merge the rest into it but the next time I'm in this venue I know I'm going to want to save the tweaks to their rep plot.