Taproot

2020 Crashing and Rendering Issues

Question

Posted (edited)

Initially our experience with v.2020 was great - faster then 2019 by far.

Now we're experiencing a lot of instability in the software and erratic rendering issues.

This morning, the program crashed when I changed the view from plan to isometric for a very small model. We have the default view for isometric set to openGL (or is it called "metal" now?)

1838849559_ScreenShot2019-10-04at10_23_44AM.thumb.png.bf135fc895993629b32d5cde87476c96.png

Should I be collecting these crash reports somewhere?  I very much doubt that Apple cares about the report, but do the VW engineers want a copy?

In this OpenGL rendering, you'll see that the lower part of the wall disappeared on the left side of the building.  Re-rendering the viewport sometimes will fix this kind of error, but often we need to close the software down and re-open it and then re-render for it to correct.  It happens sporadically in our openGL viewports:  Elevations, perspectives, etc.  The errors our weird and I find that I now have to check each viewport  methodically before publishing a set.  It takes a lot of time and I often feel like I have to get lucky to get all of the viewports correct before publishing a set.

Related issues:

• Viewports that are out of date often "jump" to other locations on the sheet / page.  They have to be updated to return to their original placement.  If you continually zoom in and out, the images are correct, but as soon as you stop moving they go wacky.
  • The software often crashes whenever we finish publishing a set - thankfully, the set is complete.  We habitually save before publishing.
  • The software usually crashes whenever we attempt to "Quit."  No biggee - as that was our goal anyway. 

1721927160_ScreenShot2019-10-04at10_28_33AM.thumb.png.2a4783fb0db78b178096107d0b121963.png

Here's a few more examples of mis-rendered elevations. 

465061399_ScreenShot2019-10-04at2_08_35PM.thumb.png.ffea96bc926f2725685bd748c7695131.png

1250009593_ScreenShot2019-10-04at2_08_49PM.thumb.png.0c7364ecc19b113ce8875a35d2bab9ee.png

I expect that you may want a copy of the file. We can provide you with one if you let us know where to send it.  However, this is happening to most of our files.

I looked at some older posts with related issues and can confirm that the user origin is the same as the internal origin AND we are not using layer links, only design layer viewports.  Furthermore, there are no design layer viewports employed in the elevation renderings.

Edited by Taproot

14 answers to this question

Sorry to hear of your problems. To answer the question about crash reports, if you have Verbose error logging turned on, your crash logs are automatically uploaded to our engineering team. (Vectorworks > Preferences > Session tab).

Regarding origins, the key thing is that the geometry is close to the INTERNAL origin and that there is nothing greater than around 5KM from the internal origin. The user origin is used to represent real world coordinates overlaid on the internal origin. If you are referencing files together, it is recommended that the same coordinates are overlaid on the internal origin in all files in the project.

Might not help but I really like the look of your Elevations 🙂

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

To answer the question about crash reports, if you have Verbose error logging turned on, your crash logs are automatically uploaded to our engineering team. (Vectorworks > Preferences > Session tab).

Regarding origins, the key thing is that the geometry is close to the INTERNAL origin and that there is nothing greater than around 5KM from the internal origin. The user origin is used to represent real world coordinates overlaid on the internal origin. If you are referencing files together, it is recommended that the same coordinates are overlaid on the internal origin in all files in the project.

HI Tamsin,

OK, I've enabled verbose error logging.  Hopefully that will help.

That is good to know about the origin.  In our case, the user origin and internal origin are the same, so I don't think that could be causing the errors.

Just now, Taproot said:

HI Tamsin,

OK, I've enabled verbose error logging.  Hopefully that will help.

That is good to know about the origin.  In our case, the user origin and internal origin are the same, so I don't think that could be causing the errors.

No, that should be fine as long as your geometry is close to the internal origin (within 5KM).

On 10/4/2019 at 6:55 PM, Taproot said:

Initially our experience with v.2020 was great - faster then 2019 by far.

Now we're experiencing a lot of instability in the software and erratic rendering issues.

This morning, the program crashed when I changed the view from plan to isometric for a very small model. We have the default view for isometric set to openGL (or is it called "metal" now?)

1838849559_ScreenShot2019-10-04at10_23_44AM.thumb.png.bf135fc895993629b32d5cde87476c96.png

Should I be collecting these crash reports somewhere?  I very much doubt that Apple cares about the report, but do the VW engineers want a copy?

In this OpenGL rendering, you'll see that the lower part of the wall disappeared on the left side of the building.  Re-rendering the viewport sometimes will fix this kind of error, but often we need to close the software down and re-open it and then re-render for it to correct.  It happens sporadically in our openGL viewports:  Elevations, perspectives, etc.  The errors our weird and I find that I now have to check each viewport  methodically before publishing a set.  It takes a lot of time and I often feel like I have to get lucky to get all of the viewports correct before publishing a set.

Related issues:

• Viewports that are out of date often "jump" to other locations on the sheet / page.  They have to be updated to return to their original placement.  If you continually zoom in and out, the images are correct, but as soon as you stop moving they go wacky.
  • The software often crashes whenever we finish publishing a set - thankfully, the set is complete.  We habitually save before publishing.
  • The software usually crashes whenever we attempt to "Quit."  No biggee - as that was our goal anyway. 

1721927160_ScreenShot2019-10-04at10_28_33AM.thumb.png.2a4783fb0db78b178096107d0b121963.png

Here's a few more examples of mis-rendered elevations. 

465061399_ScreenShot2019-10-04at2_08_35PM.thumb.png.ffea96bc926f2725685bd748c7695131.png

1250009593_ScreenShot2019-10-04at2_08_49PM.thumb.png.0c7364ecc19b113ce8875a35d2bab9ee.png

I expect that you may want a copy of the file. We can provide you with one if you let us know where to send it.  However, this is happening to most of our files.

I looked at some older posts with related issues and can confirm that the user origin is the same as the internal origin AND we are not using layer links, only design layer viewports.  Furthermore, there are no design layer viewports employed in the elevation renderings.

ive had the same issue with missing parts in open gl rendered elevations!!

and viewports moving together too!!

VW sort it out - ive just paid 3K for this mess!!

29 minutes ago, neal-2002 said:

Hi Neal

I have created a case with our tech support team and contacted you requesting more information, so that we can help you resolve this.

I have had disappearing parts as well in OpenGl in sheet layers. 

Those same viewports in Renderworks were not missing parts. ---Check out the Callouts in the PDF---

Possibly a coincidence but in one case I went back to the design layer and  shift arrow nudged the missing part  1 click and it reappeared in the viewport

While I'm venting a bit check out the Screenshot. I did Edit Design Layer from one of the viewports. when I came back it was to this (dimensions added). That 16 3/4 x 10 3/4 in the middle is my page. It apparently has something to do with unified view but this is the first version in 8 years that this has popped up

Also experiencing almost daily crashes which require a hard restart of the Mac. No rhyme or reason to the timing or cause. Apple menu restart only gives me a black screen and beachball.

I am pretty sure that I spend on average an hour a week (sometimes a day-- like today) dealing with software issues, crashes and general weirdness. My billing rate is $65 per hour. Sometimes I feel like I should be a paid Beta tester.  😉

Tamsin -- Thanks for keeping an eye on us out here. I already have an open case but if you'd like to review my case history make sure you have plenty of time on your hands.

Screen Shot 2019-11-04 at 12.45.57 PM.png

FWP Turntable.vwx.pdf

1 hour ago, Michelvh said:

Tamsin -- Thanks for keeping an eye on us out here. I already have an open case but if you'd like to review my case history make sure you have plenty of time on your hands.

FWP Turntable.vwx.pdf 1.25 MB · 0 download

You're welcome. I am in the UK, and I'm afraid your case history will be with our US tech support team. Have you reported this latest issue to them?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michelvh said:

Sometimes I feel like I should be a paid Beta tester.  😉

Give it out to students as trial until its at least sp3....then I’ll think about using it....

not wasting my time on any vw apps until it’s been out 6 months from now on....it’s ridiculous to expect paying clients/professionals to do all your dirty work ...

4 hours ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

You're welcome. I am in the UK, and I'm afraid your case history will be with our US tech support team. Have you reported this latest issue to them?

Yeah. I'm in contact with them pretty regular.

On 10/30/2019 at 5:36 PM, neal-2002 said:

Neil, did you ever send us the files so that we can investigate this? 

11 minutes ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

Neil, did you ever send us the files so that we can investigate this? 

No, I’m done with 2020....I’m back to using 2019 and ain’t moving till spring....doubt I’ll bother with next years VSS either..

Just now, neal-2002 said:

No, I’m done with 2020....I’m back to using 2019 and ain’t moving till spring....doubt I’ll bother with next years VSS either..

Fair enough, but we would be happy to look into this for you and may be able to resolve some issues.