Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Marionette-Collate

kaneo317

I was watching one of the Webinar on University Vectorworks about Algorithmic Design with Marionette. Link below

https://university.vectorworks.net/mod/scorm/player.php?a=65&currentorg=articulate_rise&scoid=130

The first exercise is about creating tapered extrude with three curves. Every step has been followed but it seems the Collate node is not working and the curves won't be generated. I have attached a screenshot and the working file (VW2019 SP3)

I am scratching my head and I just can't see what I'm doing incorrectly. Any help will be much appreciated.

Screen Shot 2019-10-03 at 3.50.31 pm.png

Marionette.vwx

10 hours ago, Marissa Farrell said:

Hi!

I've attached a file with the 2020 version of the node - I can't remember when it was fixed, but it works for me now.

Marionette (1) v2020 v2019.vwx

Thanks for your file Marissa. I can see the curves being generated now but not in the way they were shown in the video.

I uploaded a couple of images showing the intended result and the actual result I'm getting on my end.

Changing the directions of the original three curves will impact how the new curves are generated but still could not get the intended result. Also tried to change the order of the three curves on the network which did not affect anything. Looks like the points are still not collated properly.

I am wondering if there's a workaround to achieve similar result without having to use the collate. 

Intended Result.png

Actual Result.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello All,

Sorry I was late to respond to this, but there was a bug in the 2019 version of the node and I used a custom version of the Collate node. Besides the output not being lists of lists, the biggest difference between these two versions was that my custom node was looking for the number of items in each list while the default library node is looking for the number of lists. Here is a file with a slightly adjusted network that uses the fixed default Collate node in 2020. I exported it back to 2019 so that you can use this correct node in version 2019.

Example 1 - Extruded Curves v2020.vwx

Example 1 - Extruded Curves v2020 v2019.vwx

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • 1 year later...

Just want want to give a +1 to @jeff_farrow. I too spent ages trying to recreate this script after watching the Feb 2021 seminar.

Totally frustrating!

This is exactly why algorithmic design and Marrionette (colleagues who use Grasshopper do not talk about these problems) in particular is so un approachable! The shown example had modifications done that are not default. How am I supposed to learn this stuff if the examples don't work??

• 1 year later...
On 11/6/2019 at 8:41 PM, sbarrett said:

Hello All,

Sorry I was late to respond to this, but there was a bug in the 2019 version of the node and I used a custom version of the Collate node. Besides the output not being lists of lists, the biggest difference between these two versions was that my custom node was looking for the number of items in each list while the default library node is looking for the number of lists. Here is a file with a slightly adjusted network that uses the fixed default Collate node in 2020. I exported it back to 2019 so that you can use this correct node in version 2019.

Example 1 - Extruded Curves v2020.vwx

Example 1 - Extruded Curves v2020 v2019.vwx

Could you please upload an image or something of the solution?
I cant get to/download your files. And I am very much interested in your fix.
And I agree with Jeff