Whole in organic solid

Hi everyone, 

Here's another one for you all.

I have been modelling this solid, and after several steps I came out with this shape. I did not realise though, that in one fo the corners probably due to the result of the different modelling steps I created this whole. 

I am trying to do a boolean subtraction on it to achieve another shape out of this original shape, but Vectorworks will rightly point out that I cannot proceed with the subtraction because of an invalid object. 

I want to re-model the solid as last resort, because as I am dealing with an organic shape it is not very likely that I will end up with the same result. And since this design, is been approved by my boss after a lot of editing I was wondering if any of you has ever came across this sort of problem and sorted it out. Does anyone know a way to fix it?

thanks

F.

Screenshot 2019-10-02 at 20.27.42.png

Screenshot 2019-10-02 at 20.27.52.png

14 minutes ago, cberg said:

Can you convert it to a mesh, patch the hole, and then convert back into a generic solid (which would then theoretically be well formed and able to be booleaned)? 

How do you actually patch the hole? 

Edited by Flavio

Once it is a mesh you should be able to make a 3d polygon that snaps to the endpoints which would then close the mesh back up to a well-formed solid when you convert it back to a solid.

It's just an idea; I can't guarantee that it will work if there are other holes or inconsistencies in the object.

37 minutes ago, Kevin McAllister said:

How did you create the original object? Are you able to share the problem file?

If your object is symmetrical (its a bit hard to tell in the screen shots) I would split it in half using the Split Tool, discard the bad half, mirror the remaining half and recombine the two pieces as a Solid Addition.

Kevin

Here is the file. 

12 minutes ago, cberg said:

Once it is a mesh you should be able to make a 3d polygon that snaps to the endpoints which would then close the mesh back up to a well-formed solid when you convert it back to a solid.

It's just an idea; I can't guarantee that it will work if there are other holes or inconsistencies in the object.

oh ok I thought it was a secure shot, like some tool I never used. Anyway, yes I did try but it did not really work it out.😥

hole problem.vwx

Edited by Flavio

If you convert to a generic solid, you can then do additional subtractions.  Maybe you don't need to mesh.  You will lose your history.  It looks like you can do additional subtractions without converting as well.408186691_ScreenShot2019-10-02at5_29_40PM.thumb.png.810fcd4d556190bc07b257697c947ed5.png

Screen Shot 2019-10-02 at 5.26.28 PM.png

Edited by cberg