I've used DMX transform for quite some time, only to move thing up and down, besides dealing with inches to figure out heights works great.. Today I wanted to rake a truss con "variable speed hoist" and found out the now (I believe this was not the case of old and beloved Vision 2.3) everything rotates around the local origin, this is also stated in the manual. Is there any workaround to get thing to rotate on the object axis? If not, I cannot figure out one good reason to rotate anything around the local origin in the entertainment world... Please someone explain what the benefit would be....

EDIT: I did find a workaround, if you place the whole object you want to move centered to the local origin in VW, it will rotate on its center. The only problem with that is that you have to move everything again in Vision in inches.... I really do hope I'm missing something here...

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Unfortunately, this is something we haven't gotten around to handling in VW or Vision. You have found about the best workaround which is adjusting things on the VW side. While this could be done on the Vision side, it would have to be done every time you send an MVR to Vision. So, doing it in VW is ideal.

I just talked with our team internally about this and we'd like to get a TO together. Would you mind maybe opening up a VE for this and any ideas you have for how you would like this workflow to behave?

Some ideas we've thrown around internally is having a "marker" specifically for DMX Rotations. You could drag this "marker" around in VW to "adjust" the rotation point for Vision. Doing this in VW ensures that every time you Send to Vision, you get the result you want 😉

While technically, this would only be needed in VW, it would be nice to have the same UI/UX in Vision in the event you need to adjust something.

(But I will say now, ALL adjustments should be done in VW! If you adjust a DMX Rotation in Vision and not VW, then the next Send to Vision will "wipe out" your changes! 😧 Always, whenever possible, make your changes in your VWX! 😄)

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

hahahah sorry! I thought we were in the beta forums 😆

Essentially, I was trying to make sure this doesn't get lost by asking you to put it in our system. But just the other day I found it in our system! So, that is good! 😛 

Now, we just need to work on collecting workflow information from users so we know we are going down the right path!