Ability to map graphic to a swept path is gone in VW 2020

rjtiedeman

Question

18 answers to this question

I've actually noticed a similar thing in VW2020 - 3D objects created with a Line as the source object end up not having the ability to change their fill type. This is different than previous versions, and I would consider it a bug.

For example, draw a line and extrude it upwards. The extrude is stuck to having no fill. It makes sense for the line to not be able to have a fill, but the resulting extrude should be able to. Same goes for your sweep object.

As a workaround for now, you can use the little triangle flyout at the bottom of the attributes palette, and choose "Make All Attributes by Class" (since the None class has a solid fill type). This seems to make it work, even though the Attributes Palette still displays a little wonky.

1267326639_ScreenShot2019-09-30at6_17_42PM.thumb.png.5d523bc359d65019b44049d3f9af7912.png

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@rjtiedeman yes this looks like the problem that Andy mentions above, where Line objects aren't supporting a fill in 2020 and that's spilling over to any solids (Extrudes, Sweeps, etc) that are made from the Line. This is already fixed in a newer service pack but for now you'll just want to replace that line with a thin polygon and the fill should then show. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Tim

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

I've actually noticed a similar thing in VW2020 - 3D objects created with a Line as the source object end up not having the ability to change their fill type. This is different than previous versions, and I would consider it a bug.

For example, draw a line and extrude it upwards. The extrude is stuck to having no fill. It makes sense for the line to not be able to have a fill, but the resulting extrude should be able to. Same goes for your sweep object.

As a workaround for now, you can use the little triangle flyout at the bottom of the attributes palette, and choose "Make All Attributes by Class" (since the None class has a solid fill type). This seems to make it work, even though the Attributes Palette still displays a little wonky.

1267326639_ScreenShot2019-09-30at6_17_42PM.thumb.png.5d523bc359d65019b44049d3f9af7912.png

@Andy Broomell—thanks for that Andy, I have many files where my softgoods are drawn as extruded lines, (so simple so fast), and I 2020 they lost their fill and currently I have been rebuilding those symbols, what a pain

Edited by mjm
too many iiiis

You can convert the line-sweep to a NURBS surface, (sweep will now have a fill) but the shape has to be adjusted larger. Also what was a smooth sweep becomes a faceted surface which makes the texture look faceted. Not a great workaround.  It's best to just use VW2019 until things get sorted out.

2 hours ago, rjtiedeman said:

You can convert the line-sweep to a NURBS surface, (sweep will now have a fill) but the shape has to be adjusted larger. Also what was a smooth sweep becomes a faceted surface which makes the texture look faceted. Not a great workaround.  It's best to just use VW2019 until things get sorted out.

What happens when you build the relevant objects in 19 and import them into 20?

The original product was done in VW 2018 moved to to VW 2019 then when it was opened in VW 2020 it failed. I have tried rebuilding in VW 2020 from scratch but it fails. Not worth wasting any more time. If you have to get work done on time the best work around is not to use VW 2020. Adding a decal also works fine in 2020 but it is limited to 1 decal and 1 texture. Other 3D software like FormZ can have many decals and they can be moved & adjusted easily. It’s on my wish list. At one time I supported several 3D platforms but with updates and non-compatible file formats I stopped.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@rjtiedeman did you ever try just replacing the Line with a thin poly in 2020? That seems to be the easiest workaround.

-Go into the Sweep

-Activate the Offset tool with a really small offset distance and the "Close Open Curves" tool pref enabled

-Offset the Line and give it a solid fill

The texture should then show on the Sweep and it should have the same mapping as 2019.

13 hours ago, Tim C. said:

@rjtiedeman did you ever try just replacing the Line with a thin poly in 2020? That seems to be the easiest workaround.

-Go into the Sweep

-Activate the Offset tool with a really small offset distance and the "Close Open Curves" tool pref enabled

-Offset the Line and give it a solid fill

The texture should then show on the Sweep and it should have the same mapping as 2019.

Tim C.

Yes, Replacing the line with a very thin rectangle (.0001 x 1.5") works but the graphic repeats on the inside of the swept poly like the inside of a glass wall. This screws up the edges of the text/graphic. Also degrades the texture of the surface below.

NOTE: I also note that trying to edit my older textures causes major failures. I have used PSD images with alpha channels for the transparency. I need to experiment more to find a solution.

Labels- mapped poly sweep vs add decal.jpg

Repeates on inside of ring.jpg

Edited by rjtiedeman
Added repeated graphic image
1 hour ago, rjtiedeman said:

Tim C.

Yes, Replacing the line with a very thin rectangle (.0001 x 1.5") works but the graphic repeats on the inside of the swept poly like the inside of a glass wall. This screws up the edges of the text/graphic. Also degrades the texture of the surface below.

NOTE: I also note that trying to edit my older textures causes major failures. I have used PSD images with alpha channels for the transparency. I need to experiment more to find a solution.

Labels- mapped poly sweep vs add decal.jpg

Really appreciating this thread…

To which release version are you referring? 

SP0 - it's broken.

SP1 - is usually a release for localization changes and not bug fixes.

SP2 - is not out yet. I expect it in this or SP3 at the latest. Just guessing here.

As recommended above, I'd use VW 2019 for your designs needing this feature until VW 2020 is updated and working. The file(s) can be moved forward after it's working. I feel your pain.

Raymond