Jump to content
  • 1
rjtiedeman

Ability to map graphic to a swept path is gone in VW 2020

Question

I am having issues opening old package renders in VW 2020 that were done using a swept path as a sticker to a surface. Please see PDF. Now any old file that had this technique to create a label on a surface has to redone. Is this a glitch or a permanent change to Vectorworks?141179997_SweptPathIssue.thumb.jpg.53c968fd8378486688c64ad982419180.jpg 

Share this post


Link to post

17 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
38 minutes ago, rjtiedeman said:

I am having issues opening old package renders in VW 2020 that were done using a swept path as a sticker to a surface.

 

Does the swept path have a Fill attribute or is it set to none?

Can you post an example VW file?

 

Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

No the swept path does not show a fill in VW 2020 and will not accept a fill. However when I back save it to VW 2019 it has a fill and a graphic texture as it did when created.

Bob

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

I've actually noticed a similar thing in VW2020 - 3D objects created with a Line as the source object end up not having the ability to change their fill type. This is different than previous versions, and I would consider it a bug.

 

For example, draw a line and extrude it upwards. The extrude is stuck to having no fill. It makes sense for the line to not be able to have a fill, but the resulting extrude should be able to. Same goes for your sweep object.

 

As a workaround for now, you can use the little triangle flyout at the bottom of the attributes palette, and choose "Make All Attributes by Class" (since the None class has a solid fill type). This seems to make it work, even though the Attributes Palette still displays a little wonky.

 

1267326639_ScreenShot2019-09-30at6_17_42PM.thumb.png.5d523bc359d65019b44049d3f9af7912.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

 That little triangle flyout at the bottom of the attributes palette (Make All Attributes by Class)? That is only available in the design series. I use VW fundamentals.

Bob

what pop-up?.png

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@rjtiedeman ,

   Applying a FILL to an EXTRUDED Line was reported as a bug recently and now shows to be fixed. I assume the fix will apply to SWEPT Lines, too. I think this is only a temporary setback. Fingers crossed. 

 

Raymond

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@rjtiedeman yes this looks like the problem that Andy mentions above, where Line objects aren't supporting a fill in 2020 and that's spilling over to any solids (Extrudes, Sweeps, etc) that are made from the Line. This is already fixed in a newer service pack but for now you'll just want to replace that line with a thin polygon and the fill should then show. Sorry for the inconvenience.

 

Tim

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

I've actually noticed a similar thing in VW2020 - 3D objects created with a Line as the source object end up not having the ability to change their fill type. This is different than previous versions, and I would consider it a bug.

 

For example, draw a line and extrude it upwards. The extrude is stuck to having no fill. It makes sense for the line to not be able to have a fill, but the resulting extrude should be able to. Same goes for your sweep object.

 

As a workaround for now, you can use the little triangle flyout at the bottom of the attributes palette, and choose "Make All Attributes by Class" (since the None class has a solid fill type). This seems to make it work, even though the Attributes Palette still displays a little wonky.

 

1267326639_ScreenShot2019-09-30at6_17_42PM.thumb.png.5d523bc359d65019b44049d3f9af7912.png

@Andy Broomell—thanks for that Andy, I have many files where my softgoods are drawn as extruded lines, (so simple so fast), and I 2020 they lost their fill and currently I have been rebuilding those symbols, what a pain

Edited by mjm
too many iiiis

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

You can convert the line-sweep to a NURBS surface, (sweep will now have a fill) but the shape has to be adjusted larger. Also what was a smooth sweep becomes a faceted surface which makes the texture look faceted. Not a great workaround.  It's best to just use VW2019 until things get sorted out.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
2 hours ago, rjtiedeman said:

You can convert the line-sweep to a NURBS surface, (sweep will now have a fill) but the shape has to be adjusted larger. Also what was a smooth sweep becomes a faceted surface which makes the texture look faceted. Not a great workaround.  It's best to just use VW2019 until things get sorted out.

What happens when you build the relevant objects in 19 and import them into 20?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

The original product was done in VW 2018 moved to to VW 2019 then when it was opened in VW 2020 it failed. I have tried rebuilding in VW 2020 from scratch but it fails. Not worth wasting any more time. If you have to get work done on time the best work around is not to use VW 2020. Adding a decal also works fine in 2020 but it is limited to 1 decal and 1 texture. Other 3D software like FormZ can have many decals and they can be moved & adjusted easily. It’s on my wish list. At one time I supported several 3D platforms but with updates and non-compatible file formats I stopped.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@rjtiedeman did you ever try just replacing the Line with a thin poly in 2020? That seems to be the easiest workaround.

 

-Go into the Sweep

-Activate the Offset tool with a really small offset distance and the "Close Open Curves" tool pref enabled

-Offset the Line and give it a solid fill

 

The texture should then show on the Sweep and it should have the same mapping as 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Tim C. said:

@rjtiedeman did you ever try just replacing the Line with a thin poly in 2020? That seems to be the easiest workaround.

 

-Go into the Sweep

-Activate the Offset tool with a really small offset distance and the "Close Open Curves" tool pref enabled

-Offset the Line and give it a solid fill

 

The texture should then show on the Sweep and it should have the same mapping as 2019.

Tim C.

Yes, Replacing the line with a very thin rectangle (.0001 x 1.5") works but the graphic repeats on the inside of the swept poly like the inside of a glass wall. This screws up the edges of the text/graphic. Also degrades the texture of the surface below.

NOTE: I also note that trying to edit my older textures causes major failures. I have used PSD images with alpha channels for the transparency. I need to experiment more to find a solution.

Labels- mapped poly sweep vs add decal.jpg

 

Repeates on inside of ring.jpg

Edited by rjtiedeman
Added repeated graphic image

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, rjtiedeman said:

Tim C.

Yes, Replacing the line with a very thin rectangle (.0001 x 1.5") works but the graphic repeats on the inside of the swept poly like the inside of a glass wall. This screws up the edges of the text/graphic. Also degrades the texture of the surface below.

NOTE: I also note that trying to edit my older textures causes major failures. I have used PSD images with alpha channels for the transparency. I need to experiment more to find a solution.

Labels- mapped poly sweep vs add decal.jpg

Really appreciating this thread…

 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

To which release version are you referring? 

 

SP0 - it's broken.

SP1 - is usually a release for localization changes and not bug fixes.

SP2 - is not out yet. I expect it in this or SP3 at the latest. Just guessing here.

 

As recommended above, I'd use VW 2019 for your designs needing this feature until VW 2020 is updated and working. The file(s) can be moved forward after it's working. I feel your pain.

 

Raymond

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

As a workaround, it looks like it will still take the fill (and/or texture) from the class. It's only the Attribute Palette getting in the way.  SP2 beta that I tried seems fixed with the Can Top example.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...