mac iBook or Powerbook???

Hello there...

I need a new laptop, and am juggling in between an iBook or a Powerbook...does anyone have direct experience using Vectorworks on either of these machines? Using the Tiger platform? The iBook is so much cheaper - would I really be losing out on performance, compared to a Powerbook?

Much appreciated!

I've been using Vectorworks with a 15" aluminum PB for some time, and recently with Tiger. I think the most important consideration is screen size-for CAD with all the palettes I think 15" is bare min., so that even 14" iBook pushes limit. In the office I hook up to a 21" monitor. My next PB will definitely be 17". The performance is also an issue, especially if you use rendering.

Tiger is great, a little speed improvement.

Spend the extra bucks-in the long run you won't feel the money, but really appreciate the other stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by bubbalauren:

The iBook is so much cheaper - would I really be losing out on performance, compared to a Powerbook?

You mightn't loose heaps in the way of power, but you would definitely loose the option to use a second screen.

Gytis is right. I can work on my PBk, but the second screen make a world of difference to productivity. (not to mention my self -esteem ;-)

N.

I couldn't imagine doing CAD work on a single screen less than 20". It will drive you nuts, especially if you have worked with a screen that size or a dual screen set-up. You absolutely need to get all the pallettes out of the way.

You can dual screen an iBook.

I am using a 1.33 Ghz iBook with an Acer AL1713 LCD. Yes it can be done in extended desktop mode. Google it or maybe www.macosxhints.com can help. So the external monitor feature is moot.

The powerbook has 64MB of video memory so that may make a difference for rendering, and a lot of new OS goodies will rely on high-end graphics (Quartz 2D extreme, Quartz compositor) Some of these things work on the iBook.

The powerbook will be a little more future proof.

What you want to do will make a difference in your choice, could you elaborate on that somewhat?

quote:

Originally posted by wv_vectorworker:

...You can dual screen an iBook...

Unless things have changed, the iBook will only mirror on a second monitor. So on the iBook you will simply see the same image as on the LCD.

This might be usefull for presentations with a projector, but with a second monitor, I do not see the point.

The PowerBook has the ability to use the second monitor as additional desktop space.

quote:

Originally posted by Kevin:

quote:

Originally posted by wv_vectorworker:

...You can dual screen an iBook...

Unless things have changed, the iBook will only mirror on a second monitor. So on the iBook you will simply see the same image as on the LCD.

This might be usefull for presentations with a projector, but with a second monitor, I do not see the point.

The PowerBook has the ability to use the second monitor as additional desktop space.

hi. I said I was using my iBook with an attached 17" LCD in extended desktop mode also known as spanning whatever.

http://macparts.de/ibook

I've been using a Mac my whole life until this year. Was using a G4. Then I bought an HP Pavilion zd 8000 and have not had one problem. Not one. I bought the PC version of VW which was like $200.00 to get the PC version since I already had the Mac version. Look at all the people on this tech board having tech problems and see how many are using MAC's. Most of them. If you're going to stay with Mac, do not get an iBook.

Dave

We use a 14" 1Ghz G4 ibook for occasional drawing in Vectorworks and have no problems with it. Our main workstations are G4 desktops and the screen quality and size are dramatically better than the laptop. I wouldn't advise a laptop for general day to day drafting but if you are considering intermittent use an ibook should be fine.

quote:

Originally posted by Just Learning:

.. Look at all the people on this tech board having tech problems and see how many are using MAC's. Most of them. If you're going to stay with Mac, do not get an iBook...

Dave

I would disregard this statement, unless "Just Learning" would like to back this up with factual data. Use whatever operating system makes you happy.

Both platforms have had their share of difficulties. It is easy to find people to tell you that one platform is better than the other. The right choice is the one that works for you.

I strongly disagree with Just Learning.

The main reason you see Mac users complaining here more frequently than PC users is because most VW users are Mac users. PC users have the alternative of Autocad, Mac users don't. So it is obvious you will see more Mac users. Here at the office we have both Mac and PCs and most of the problems happen in the PCs with both Vectorworks and Autocad. In my experience Macs are much better and stable and less complex.

By the way, I use an iBook G4 for VW everyday. While I agree a bigger screen is better, the iBook's TFT screen is much easier on the eyes than CRTs. So you have to choose.

I think a Powerbook with a 15" screen or better would be the best choice. Look for a 128 Mb videocard and lots of RAM and you will have a great machine.

[ 06-23-2005, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Hugo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Just Learning:

I've been using a Mac my whole life until this year. Was using a G4. Then I bought an HP Pavilion zd 8000 and have not had one problem. Not one. I bought the PC version of VW which was like $200.00 to get the PC version since I already had the Mac version. Look at all the people on this tech board having tech problems and see how many are using MAC's. Most of them. If you're going to stay with Mac, do not get an iBook.

Dave

I work in an office with three Pcs and I am the only mac user. The PCs constantly have problems and a PC service guy is called at $50 an hour, and sometimes takes three days to figure out the problem. Can you afford three days of downtime?

The PC users know very little about their computers or how to use them, they paid hundreds of dollars for a backup system from another tech that failed after only two days.

The PC users also make little effort to learn VW, basically trying to use it as an Autocad clone. they upgraded from 10.5 to 11.5, but don't use any of the new features. I got left behind, and now we can't collaborate.

Of course not all PC users are like this. Please don't make sweeping unfounded statements about Macs based on who is using/contributing to the VW Forums.

Wish we could keep this thread on track rather than go into the murky and always, always ( dare I add another always) unresolved issue of Mac versus Windows.

The guy asked about a recommendation between the use of two machines, not should I be changing OS's.

The advantages of the Powerbook choice are clear, extending the desktop (without reverting to patches and workrounds), bigger and better screen size when not linked to an external monitor, faster processors and graphics cards, the potential for adding greater memory, and the latest models have little enhancements such a shock protection for the hard drive etc.

Before any assumtions are made, I use both OS platforms and see the strengths and weaknesses of both.

Both are part of my "toolkit" and what's more important to me is the stuff I create not what I do it on although thankfully one of my favourite tools, Vectorworks, is available on both platforms.

Good luck with your choice, I hope you are happy with whatever you decide upon.

Alan

[ 06-23-2005, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

I have recently learnt how to use VectorWorks and am a Mac user. My technical knowledge is limited. Can someone tell me how I can maximise the usage of a 17" PB and a 12" iBook? How do I link the 2 up? Any help I get will be most appreciated. What other advantages (if any) will I be able to enjoy besides spanning my screen?

quote:

Originally posted by poesy:

I was told it was possible to span my screens.

I think you'll find this refers to attaching another monitor screen to either of your laptops, or in fact to a desktop machine along with your existing screen.

You are trying to link to machines together to use the second machine to extend the desktop of the first, not possible as far as I'm aware.

As suggested maybe sell one laptop if you don't really need both and buy another monitor for extending your desktop.

Alan

[ 06-28-2005, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: alanmac ]

• 2 months later...

I have been using both my iBook and PowerBook to work on VW. The iBook is definitely a lot less powerful to run a few programs at the same time, but it enables me to work on site travelling due to the size and weight. If I were to make another purchase, it would definitely be for another PB!!