SKYLIGHT IN ROOF FACE

bc

Question

OK So is it true that I can't insert more than one skylight in a given roof face?

I have a skylight installed in a roof face.

It won't let me install another one.

It will let me install on other roof faces that do not have another skylight installed.

If I can, please advise as to how.  Otherwise this ludicrous and it sucks.

Thanks

bc

Edited by bc

6 answers to this question

@alan    Thanks for your video.  I am using Velux symbols and had an insertion problem  prior to restarting. All is well now.

@CipesDesign  Peter, could you elaborate a bit as to the benefits of your method?  Or why you prefer it?  I insert a skylight into the roof and always have to reposition it.  That takes a bit of time.  But so does creating a roof hole.  It just seems like it's the same amount of work.  Is it the resulting section view you're after?

Thanks

I will probably be tarred and feathered for this but.... I have never been a fan of 'Insertion' of any objects, with the exception of Doors and Windows. As you mention, initially every inserted object just sort of goes where it wants to, which forces the user is reposition, flip, etc. The advantage of cutting a hole in a roof is that I can have control over the exact location of the skylight in relation to roof framing members and placement at room centers or over other chosen object (eg: kitchen island). Not only does this give me accurate section views but also the ability to precisely dimension and callout the location so that framers/builders have total clarity as to my intent. Old school, but effective.

• Like 3

Thanks Peter,  No tar and feathers from me.

This is as I suspected....although I don't know that this method saves any work if one is using standard Velux Skylights, as using them allows one to not have to bother determining the actual hole for any given slope as the insertion process does that automatically.  I can see using it if one were to have some kind of custom built skylight. 

Otherwise I think it's six-of-one.......

I would NEVER use the the symbol to create any sort of dormer.  Dormers need to be modeled IMHO.

• Like 2