Apply a wall hatch without an associated renderworks texture

jtempleton

I'd like to create simple elevation line drawings. I currently use wall textures which, of course, in hidden line rendering, show as a hatch. Without knowing how to create new textures and associated hatched, I'm limited to the available hatched in VW architect. Is there a way to apply a hatch to a wall (or exterior wall component) so that it renders as desired? For example, VW has like an 8" board and batten hatch, but I want something with greater spacing. I dont see where it's possible to edit textures the same way it is hatches. I'm sorry if this has been answered before. I searched, but didn't come up with exactly what I was looking for. Thanks 

Unfortunately the process of editing a hatch associated with a texture is a bit convoluted:

1. Find the texture in the Resource Manager. Either browse through the textures or find an object with the texture, right click and choose "Locate texture in Resource Manager"
  2. In the Resource Manager right click on the texture and select "Edit..."
  3. In the dialogue that opens select "Edit Surface Hatch...". This dialogue does not actually let you edit the hatch itself - rather just how it maps with the texture. This might be all you need to do by playing with the hatch alignment settings.
    If not then you'll need to edit the hatch itself...
    image.thumb.png.28601c3783180c26ef720d73ef7a588c.png
  4. Whilst still in the Edit surface note the name of the surface hatch and close the dialogues.
  5. Find the hatch in the Resource Manager, right click and go "Edit..."
  6. The edit hatch dialogue opens which allows you to change the geometry of the hatch to suit your needs. It's not the most intuitive dialogue unfortunately. Complex hatches will have multiple "levels". Activate the level you want to change. For your 8" board example you will need to find the level that creates the lines at 8" spacing and adjust the offset to what you need.
    image.thumb.png.c216171ec975e7b4d0ce401f82cc0676.png
  7. Once you are done the textures with the associated hatch should all update.

I hope that is helpful.

The renderworks textures are in the resource manager.  

To edit the texture:

You can right click on texture in the resource manager and choose Edit.

In the bottom left you will see a size box and a button called Set by Image…. Click the Set by Image… button.

On the image you will see a line with dots on either side.  You can move points around and type in a value to set the size of the siding overlap.

Then click on Edit Surface Hatch to change the hatch or reposition and / or resize the current hatch.

To use just a hatch:

Right click on the texture in the resource manager and choose Edit.

Under Color change the pulldown from Image to Color.  Click on Edit and choose a color.

That will leave the hatch but take away the image that makes up the texture.

Guest Wes Gardner

Hi All,

An often overlooked feature is the ability to take a hatch from the library and modify it to suit then save it as a new hatch whereupon it becomes available in the Resource Manager.

The steps are:

Hatch some shape with a "standard" hatch

Select the Attribute Mapping tool from the Basic Tool palette

Alter it as desired (corners change size, midway points provide rotation)

Right-click and from contextual menu, choose "New Hatch from Locally Mapped Hatch"

Voila!

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 9.53.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 9.53.40 AM.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/26/2019 at 7:03 PM, michaelk said:

The renderworks textures are in the resource manager.  

To edit the texture:

You can right click on texture in the resource manager and choose Edit.

Michael- will this affect the texture globally or  only in the drawing file in which I am working?

And, here's an additional question. I have replaced the hatch associated with the surface texture, which was the only way I was able to make this change from batten strips at 8.5" to ~ 24" oc. But, and this was also true before I changed the associated hatch, the hatched don't line up floor to floor, though the walls do line up, which is maddening.  I'd like the batten strips to continue vertically from first floor to second floor, rather than being offset as shown. Any ideas on how to accomplish this?

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 1.24.50 PM.png