Disassociating a Data Tag

Dick Jenkins

I am placing door tags on my plan. Everything is fine as long as I am on a door created by the VW door tool. The problem is I have a few doors I had to create using WinDoor because VW cannot make stacking doors. The data tag will not go on the drawing unless it touches a VW door. How can I use my tag without it having to be associated with an object. I am not linking to a record or anything.

In am trying to make a label that looks like my door tags, but does not require me to attach it to anything in order for me to place it oon a drawing. I have some doors that were not created in Vectorworks so the regular door tag does not recognize them, and there for will not place the label. I can worry about attaching records later.

Guest Wes Gardner

@Dick Jenkins...yes, I understand...that's why I chose something like the number stamp tag style as it doesn't require any object...it's sort of like a "dummy" tag.  And you can get into the tag in the Resource Manager and edit it to look like whatever you want...below is an example where I replaced the circle with a polygonal shape.  Here's the file as well...

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 10.34.50 AM.png

Tagger.vwx

The trouble I am having with the number stamp tag style is that it will not allow me to enter the text. I place the tag. I click "edit tag data". I enter text. It will not let me click the "OK" button to finish the creation. Is this a problem with v2020 or is there another step I am missing. I have attached what I am seeing. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-27 at 10.50.44 AM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Dick Jenkins,

This is because the Number Stamp Data Tag is used for counting. You have to edit its layout and change its linked text formula. I would suggest you read the help site and get more familiar with Data Tags if needed - http://app-help.vectorworks.net/2020/eng/index.htm#t=VW2020_Guide%2FAnnotation%2FEditing_data_tags.htm%23XREF_12063_Editing_Data_Tags

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov