Controlling classes in referenced files

SharonP

I have a multi unit residential development that I am currently drawing.  There are 6 different small houses on one site, so following suggestions from others I have referenced them into my site plan so that I can have it all up to date, and it is working well.... except that I cannot work out how to control the visibility of the classes within that one file.

I have the individual houses on the site plan as viewport in the site design layer, and then when I make the sheet layer with the whole site viewport, I can't seem to control the individual classes properly.  Eg, if I don't want to show the walls of the houses, turning off the walls classes don't make them disappear unless I turn them off in the individual house viewports on the site design layer.  Then they disappear from all viewports of the full site - which is not what I want - I only want them gone from some sheets, not all..... Here'd hoping that makes sense to someone.

Any clues?

Thanks

Sharon