Jump to content
  • 0
Viameo

Import Class Types to Different Drawings

Question

A handy feature to have would be an easy way to transfer all your classes and their properties to different drawings, which would override existing classes with the same name!

We deal with two different sets of drawings (design and working drawings) and both types have the same classes but with different properties.

Share this post


Link to post

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
27 minutes ago, Viameo said:

We deal with two different sets of drawings (design and working drawings) and both types have the same classes but with different properties.

Assuming you want the classes to have the same properties then this is already possible.

 

When you import classes from one file to another - if class names are the same VW will ask if you still want to import existing classes. If you do the existing classes will be updated to have the attributes of the imported classes with the same name. Class visibilities of existing updated classes don't change.

 

This could be improved however. We have a "Standard Classes" file which has all of our standard office classes. We also have a bunch of template files which have various combinations of these classes in them.

 

Occasionally we go through and tweak some classes, change lineweights or fills or something. It is tricky importing these updated classes from the standard classes file into the templates as the import dialogue does not have an option to show only classes that are already in the current file. It only has an option to show classes that are NOT already in the current file.

 

If the dialogue could list just the classes that ARE in the current file we could easily update our template file existing classes without importing classes we don't want in them.

 

At the moment it is actually quite a workaround to update classes throughout our templates.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
6 minutes ago, Boh said:

When you import classes from one file to another - if class names are the same VW will ask if you still want to import existing classes. If you do the existing classes will be updated to have the attributes of the imported classes with the same name. Class visibilities of existing updated classes don't change.

 

Boh - That's a helpful tip, one that I'll likely use now that we're updating our class attributes.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

Anyone know how to delete the "Import Classes" default files? I will never use AEC-UK-Uniclass2015-ARCHITECT-Ee-Element.vwx for example and it clutters my workflow. Where are these files located in mac VW2019?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
1 hour ago, hmart said:

Anyone know how to delete the "Import Classes" default files? I will never use AEC-UK-Uniclass2015-ARCHITECT-Ee-Element.vwx for example and it clutters my workflow. Where are these files located in mac VW2019?

 

Macintosh HD > Applications > Vectorworks 2019 > Libraries > Defaults > Standards

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


 

7150 Riverwood Drive, Columbia, Maryland 21046, USA   |   Contact Us:   410-290-5114

 

© 2018 Vectorworks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Vectorworks, Inc. is part of the Nemetschek Group.

×
×
  • Create New...