workgroup referencing

I am trying to use the workgroup referencing of imported autocad files instead of copying them directly to my vectorworks file. The referenced files are all greyed. Can you change something so that you can see the referenced layers normally? Even if I don't want to adjust anything on these layers, you can't read any text, see the lines properly or align objects to them. I'm hoping that I am just missing something simple here.

But you can see everything fine in the original file?

Seems like you might have either the layers themselves or the associated classes set to gray.

(We do exactly what you're describing whenever we work with ACad imports. . .and generally don't have any problems.)

Good luck,

Yes, everything looks fine in the original file. If I go to one of the referenced layers in the new file, it is not greyed. The layer visibilty is set to visible and the classes set to visible in both the referenced file and the new file. I can't work on the file with the referenced layers greyed.

I was planning on working this way with the autocad files instead of importing all autocad files from one folder into one file. When importing this way, it seems that some of the files imported using the wrong units, but importing them separately works fine.

I use the same process and sometimes I have seen this "grey" problem. In my case the imported file was composed of many large symbols (are these "blocks" in AC?). These resulting symbols in Vectorworks were grey. To fix this I change all the symbols to GROUPS in the imported file & within these groups the class is changed to NONE. I then can workgroup to the targeted file(s).