Image props not visible in Top View

MaltbyDesign

Hello,

I've been trying to use some Image Prop files of trees available through the Resource Manager Vectorworks Libraries and they appear fine i various views except Top View. In Top/Plan they appear and a grey cross. Is there any way to get them to appear in the rendered Top View? There are VBvisual Plants available in the Site Planning tool set (Vectorworks Architect) but none of the plants on offer really match what actually grows in my area. 

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Image props are simply just an image or think of them as cut out pictures. You can set them in a horizontal plane or a vertical plane. Most of the time you will see image props used for presentation of vies generated from 0' elev to (depending on the image) 40-70 if it is at a distance. you can also use imagery of the top of a plan and place that in to achieve a rendered top view. I have not tried to mix the two to see how that would look. As for the VB Visuals. They are 3D geometry and will thus be available from any view.

As for Image Prop creation. It is super easy and allows you to create and customize to fit your needs.

I have created thousands of image props over the years and have developed some quick tricks to creating great custom image prop symbols. Just get in and play with them a bit.

• Like 2

MD:

I tend to create hybrid symbols for trees. A plan form in 2D, and an image prop in 3D. Also helps keep file sizes from bloating and makes it easy to swap out species easily if you have to. VB Visuals are geometry and can inflate a file size in a get-go. But again making them a symbol will help keep it manageable.  Hope that helps.

• Like 3