2020 Another Year Of Broken Release

File this Under Frustrated Rant.

When I open an existing file from another version. I expect it to look just like it did in the Old Version.

What good are new features if you can't open old files with out re-editing things that you have already drawn?

Is this too much to ask from software that we pay Thousands of dollars for?

My company does not pay for my software I do.

2019                                                                                                                                                                              2020

1209219013_WhereismyPipe.thumb.png.3ea3b6c62f7095ecae5610e67b81bcf8.png

Instead of the Rotated 3d pipe I get a schematic view of it.

Did I want this? No

Is this what you would call expected Behavior? Not to me

Did no one Use a rotated pipe at any time during your beta? Just a question I would have for QA?

1626327053_BorkedLegend.thumb.png.e73ffe52588b0d50a9ab6aa82b00d82c.png

Text added to Non-Rotating Label Legend does not display correct.

We should not have to Re-edit every file we open to see what is going to be broken this time. 

This is Death by a thousand paper cuts.

I saw a Reply to another comment about batch converting reference files to not have to update each file manually.

This would Scare the living Crap out of me because of things like this.  Now you would have Broken views in every file that used the reference.

Everything Before SP2 should be re-branded as RC-1 RC-2 etc.

This is not Production ready software and making paying customers Beta test for you is getting old.

• Like 1

yep totally agree, after the fiasco of problems with version 2019 I've decided not to download version 2020 until version 2021 comes out the problems should have been sorted by then. It seems we have all become Beta testers so Vectorworks don't have to spend time and money sorting problems out before releasing the new version.

@sbarnett  We've not yet updated but we have a policy in the office that we (almost) never open a file in a later iteration of VW. For example I was working in a 2015 file last week.  Where we draw the line is generally a decision that means the project is somewhere in CD or SD and is always project specific. If we've decided to move a project into the latest version of the software, it is always saved and locked in the version it was created in, and a new copy is Batch Converted to the new version.

Before we use the newest version on a project, we always try a few test files & make a new template in the new iteration of the software, but pressures of production sometimes make us skip the last step.

Given all this, I wish that VW's new release schedule was closer to 16-20 months, but I get that Marketers gotta Market!😀

• Like 3
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, sbarnett said:

Links to the files have been sent to support

@sbarnett thank you for the files and the report. The issues have been filed under case # VB-165323. At this point, SP1 is out of the question since we will be releasing SP1 soon but I'm hopeful that it will be SP2. I will keep you all posted on any progress.

• Like 1
On 9/23/2019 at 4:47 PM, JuanP said:

@sbarnett thank you for the files and the report. The issues have been filed under case # VB-165323. At this point, SP1 is out of the question since we will be releasing SP1 soon but I'm hopeful that it will be SP2. I will keep you all posted on any progress.

Is it lost on you guys that this basically Confirms my argument that everything up to SP3 is a Release Candidate because you cant fix all the problems in the release version until then?

Truth in advertising goes along way. 

• 1 month later...