Data Visualization on Design Layers is really cool

Data Visualization now works on Design Layers in Vw 2020.

On Design Layers it gives you live updating as you change the Record of an object.  Sheet Layer Viewports are used to provide views of the Data for printing.

The image below shows the Data Visualization being used to graphically show the size of lots.

Design Layer Data Visualisation.png

• Like 4
Guest Alex Sagatov

Live Data Visualization is a real game changer. I haven't been able to mess with it as much as I want to yet, but it is my favorite feature in quite some time!

For what its worth, you could possibly get away with a short cut in your workflow. If you are basically re-typing the area from the polygon itself in the record format, you can technically just use live data visualization based on the area field found in the Shape tab which is automatically generated:

Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 1.16.07 PM.png

I used it in anger for the first time last week.

I had some scenic flats with 3 different types of finish.  Adding a record format to the symbol - then a drop down box with 3 choices meant that data visualisation could colour code the different finish for each piece of scenery.

Very useful - and something I have tried doing in the past but failed (I’ve want a “Colour by class” choice - within a symbol so that the symbol can change appearance depending on what class it is on for a while - this achieves the same thing via a different route.

It even adds a nice key for good measure

Very nice 

• Like 1
On 9/23/2019 at 12:23 AM, Jonathan Pickup said:

I am really impressed with the Data visualization.

For a beginner, it might not be easy to understand so I have added an article on my knowledgebase site to explain how to use and manage data visualization.

@Jonathan Pickup As a beginner to data visualization, I found your city map example really useful to understand the concept. Way to go!

• Like 1

Ok, looks interesting, but will this also enable topological editing? i.e. when editing adjacent polygons in for example the subdivision tool (landscape) other polygons would autoupdate - along with their annotations. Survey packages do this, along with most GIS' and there's a way to do it in Sketchup. Hope this is now the case with VW.

• 7 months later...