Geo Referencing Document & design layers(How does it work?)

Ive read thru the help and while I can set up a document with the geo-referencing on Im not sure how or what this is actually used for?  For example if I set the origin to a specific lat and long I would think that if say a survey file and the points in that file match the points of the georeferenced origin that the point would drop right in the center of the drawing.  That doesnt seem to happen.

I understand the concept of Geo referencing but the information surrounding how to get it to work for you in VW is sparse at best.  Anyone have a good tutorial or can elaborate on their use of this feature? Would love to see how this actually works.

Edited by HEengineering

@SMannVW Ok now that video was very helpful.  The one part of the workflow that seems to be giving me fits is trying to use an already created terrain model and have that GIS geo image showing over the terrain model.  I have checked the box in the site model to do this, but it doesnt always seem to work.  Sometimes the terrain model will apply the geo texture other times it doesn't? File attached if you would like to have a look. 

Document is geo referenced and the design layer is also geo referenced but its very possible Im missing something silly here.

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 3.33.29 PM.png

Site Model test.vwx

Also another question I have is under the services for the ArcGIS Portal I see the option to add your own web service?

Could a person use say a County GIS website and plug that in?  Or maybe the easier way to ask this questions is if we have a county GIS site that shows ROW and property lines it would be great to get that integration in?

Im fairly new to what ARCGIS living atlas subscriptions offer or like I said maybe we can simply point to a county GIS portal?

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 4.13.33 PM.png