Assign Data Tag On OIP Name Field

Nikolay,

Thanks for the information. Is there some sort of API that shows all the names? I'm having a heck of a time querying for the information I need in a smart way. For lack of a better example I'm looking to do something like:

{ 

Object.name, 

LightInfoRecord.channel,

MyRecord.notes,

}

You got me pointed in the right direction, but I'd love a reference so I can create the information I'm looking for.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @Daniel B. Chapman,

If I understand you correctly you want to extract this information for all of the objects in the document? If so, you could use Create Report menu command, select All Objects for Criteria and then in the columns group select the desired records/functions. See the image below.

изображение.png

This will create a worksheet that lists the names of all objects in the document and the Channels of all Lighting Devices.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2019 at 9:33 PM, Daniel B. Chapman said:

I'm curious if it is possible to assign a Data Tag or a Visualization to display the name of the objects in the OIP->Name field.

I'm kind of confused that there isn't a Data Tag Style showing simply the object name in the basic Vectorworks Libraries. You really have to do it yourself? Like, isn't a tag with the name the first, most basic thing you'd want to have? If we think about Data Tags as sort of smart Callouts? Or am I missing something fundamental on the idea and use of Data Tags?

(If I understood previous replies correctly, assigning a Data Tag with the object name was in fact not what the original problem in this thread was about eventually, but anyway I wonder)

@Antti,

No the response from Nikolay was off topic (I didn't need a channel hookup) and, honestly, I had forgotten about this topic. I was able to solve this using the Object Function `[#N#]` (which means name). It wasn't intuitive at all, but you can link the text in the Tag to a dynamic text field. I then used that to tag all of these architectural LED instances.

1985206642_OIPNAME.thumb.png.90904a5fe19ab9d346a29c8717237cba.png

Your point about lacking a basic tag in the libraries is valid, this took me quite a while to figure out. I don't remember the full process, but it was worthwhile when I finally finished it. My real problem here was tagging this information to match an outside model for previz. 

-Daniel

image.png