VW2020 Detail Levels

Markvl

• 1 month later...

Hi Joseph: I have seen the document preferences you mention and per your attachment and VW help does address it some but it is a bit cryptic to me. Extracted from VW help: "For symbol definitions with detail levels defined for 3D components (see Customizing detail levels for 2D and 3D components of symbol definitions and plug-in objects), automatically displays the  detail levels designated for the drawing scale. Define the scales at or below which the design layer will display the  Low and Medium detail  levels; the High detail level automatically displays for drawings with a scale set above the level defined for Medium." 

Is there a video on the channel addressing how to go about modifying the defaults shown as 2, 1? Or perhaps please give some examples as related to design layer scale.

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

If you were to put 96 and 24 for the values in the dialog, you would get the following behavior:

If the design layer scale is:

• 1:96 (1/8"=1'-0") or smaller: you will see objects in low detail
  • 1:24 (1/2"=1'-0") or smaller: you will see objects in medium detail
  • Above 1:24 (1/2"=1'-0"): you will see objects in high detail

Translate this to metric friendly scales:

If you were to put 100 and 25 for the values in the dialog, you would get the following behavior:

If the design layer scale is:

• 1:100 or smaller: you will see objects in low detail
  • 1:25 or smaller: you will see objects in medium detail
  • Above 1:25 : you will see objects in high detail
  • Like 4
18 hours ago, genie said:

@Matt Panzer

Has this replaced the "Show Plan Detail" option in both Doors & Windows plug-in objects?  I can't seem to find that option anymore in 2020. 

Hi @genie,

Yes. These options have become obsolete. Most of what they controlled was how the object looked in 3D and choosing an option set the look of the object for all drawings at any detail level. Now you have more control over what the 3D object looks like for each detail level. At the bottom of the 3D Visualization pane for the Door or Window Settings dialogs, you will find these "3D Detail Levels" settings.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

@Matt Panzer 
What about the 2D Detail levels for Doors & Windows?

The low level of details shows a single line for a fixed window for example... That's a terrible way to represent windows and doors even for an early sketch design stage. 

Is there an option to change that? Or do I have to create a Symbol geometry for each window...?

• Like 4
On 11/4/2019 at 6:48 AM, Dflynn said:

@Matt Panzer 
What about the 2D Detail levels for Doors & Windows?

The low level of details shows a single line for a fixed window for example... That's a terrible way to represent windows and doors even for an early sketch design stage. 

Is there an option to change that? Or do I have to create a Symbol geometry for each window...?

Currently, there is no way to change how the door and window show in 2D for various detail levels. To avoid the single line representation, you could set the viewport to Medium detail rather than Low.

• Like 1
  • 7 months later...

I would like to show a generic wall with just a hatch but to show the doors and windows in that wall as having some thickness (eg with a double line and ideally a fill). But it seems that in order to do this I would need to have the detail level for the walls at low, but for the doors/windows at medium. Any way around this?

• Like 1
22 hours ago, George31 said:

I would like to show a generic wall with just a hatch but to show the doors and windows in that wall as having some thickness (eg with a double line and ideally a fill). But it seems that in order to do this I would need to have the detail level for the walls at low, but for the doors/windows at medium. Any way around this?

The best way to achieve that would be to:

1. Use walls with component classes
  2. Class the wall (eg: Wall-Exterior)
  3. Set the viewport Detail Level to "Medium" or "High" (so doors and windows show as you like)
  4. Turn off all component classes in the viewport
  5. Set the Wall's class visible and use a class override to set its attributes as needed (eg: a hatch fill)
  • Like 2
  • Love 1