More Dimension Glitches

1.) In VW 11.5 on Windows XP, a string of dimensions occasionally omits the dimension line (between markers). It looks odd so I have to go back and draw in a line.

2.) When dimension text doesn't fit inside the witness lines, it automatically jumps outside. The problem is that the relocated text is too far away from the witness lines. In the dimension Edit dialog, I haven't found any way to change the minimum offset. The only option I see is to check "Dimensions always inside". But then the text is crowded.

3.) In the dimension Dialog I have no idea what the "tolerance size" means. Apaprently it refers to text, but for what purpose? Tolerance btween what and what?

I never noticed these problems before 11.0, so I assume they are "improvements". Any workarounds to de-improve them will be appreciated.

EJ

Thanks for the response, but

1) There is no white fill behind the text, but that's what it looks like. Most dims have a complete line, but some have only a short line at each slash marker.

2) The "Offset" I was referring to is the distance left or right of the witness lines that the text jumps to when the space between the witness lines is too small. The left offset is closer, but the right offset is off in "left field".

3) I can't see the last part of your sentence after "betweens". The tolerance is between what and what?? I'm guessing it's something like (+/- 1/4"), in which case it doesn't matter to me.

JHE

1) There is no white fill behind the text, but that's what it looks like. Most dims have a complete line, but some have only a short line at each slash marker.

Go to File>Preferences>VW Preferences.

Click on the Display Tab.

Checkmark "No Fill Behind Text"

Does this resolve the problem?

2) The "Offset" I was referring to is the distance left or right of the witness lines that the text jumps to when the space between the witness lines is too small. The left offset is closer, but the right offset is off in "left field".

Are you using a custom dimension?

If yes, you may need to edit the custom dimension and adjust the settings.

If no, you may want to create a custom dimension to set the lines and offset distance as you would like. To do so, go to File.Prferences.Document Preferences and click on the Dimension tab.

Katie

Thanks for your response.

1) Checkmark "No Fill Behind Text"

This is checked. None of my text has a fill.

This problem only affects about 1/4 of my dimensions. I have never seen this before I updated to VW11.5.

2) Are you using a custom dimension?

I'm using a custom dual Dimension. But again not all of the dimensions are affected. There is probably some commonality between the missing line dimensions, but I haven't been able to figure out what it is. For every hypothesis, I usually find some exceptions. My best guess so far is that dimensions that are very close to the text width criteria for being bumped from between the witness lines sometimes lose the line between markers.

JHE

Are the offending dimension strings placed on a Design layer or in a Viewport?

I've sometimes experienced close to what you're describing, but only in Viewport-Annotations. I've been able to resolve it by changing the type size, leaving annotations, then re-entering annotations and changing it back. Seems to be linked to the same type-management challenges that other plug-ins are having. (Elevation markers, call-outs, possibly others)

Good luck,

Katie

I sent a copy of the file in question to tech@nemetschek on Friday 6/17/05. The email subject is "Sheet views w/ visible crops". In that file I have drawn over the dimension gaps with new lines. In the bottom row of dims click on 3'-4" and 5'-6" to see if it's a line instead of a dimension. After deleting the line, note that the end markers with short lines are drawn, but the middle line is missing. This never happened before I updated to VW11.5, but now it is happening in VW11.1 after I went back from 11.5. On second thought, I will send you a sample specifically on this topic. Thanks

JHE

Katie

I made a sample in a new letter-size document, and the dimension lines are OK. So I won't bother to send it to you.

The problem must be related to this particular file, which was started in VW11.1 and then continued in VW11.5. I have already trashed the preferences and fiddled with the custom dimension settings. Any ideas? Thanks again,

JHE

Katie

I opened another file created in VW11.0. When I added some dimensions, they were missing the middle part of the line between markers. So the problem seems to be related to files that were not created in VW11.0. I'm coping for now, but a fix would be appreciated.

JHE

JHE