Windows GPU-1 Not Working

Sherriff

Question

Since upgrading to Windows 1909 I have had issues with my dGPU not working in Vectorworks. This has happened to two different laptops and in both instances the Nvidia dGPU would not turn on, and the on board GPU was doing all of the work.

I reinstalled the Driver, and used the Nvidia control panel to set the High Performance Graphic card to be used always. It still wouldn't work.

I then found this article:
https://pureinfotech.com/set-gpu-app-windows-10/

Windows has changed how you set which GPU to use in which app, and it never seems to turn on dGPU unless you force it.

Thought that I would share just in case any of you hit the same issue.

The method on https://pureinfotech.com/set-gpu-app-windows-10/ Fixes the issue.

gpu2.png

GPU.jpg

Edited by Sherriff
For clarity

6 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Sherriff,

This will most likely be down to the settings in your NVIDIA control panel.  Please try the following:

Right click on desktop > NVIDIA Control Panel > Configure Surround, PhysX (might be PhysX settings) > set the Processor to your GTX card > Apply > Manage 3D settings > Program Settings > if Vectorworks 2020 isn't in the drop down menu click Add > select Vectorworks 2020 > Add Selected Program > Apply.

I hope this helps you.

12 minutes ago, Nicolas Goutte said:

Have you already tried out VW 2019 SP5.2. (There is supposed to be fixes for Nvidia GPU inside. May be it would fix your problem.)

This happened with VW 2020 and Windows 1909, not sure about 2019. It seems to be the "upgrade" to 1909 that does wacky things to the driver.

30 minutes ago, Adam Robinson said:

Hi @Sherriff,

This will most likely be down to the settings in your NVIDIA control panel.  Please try the following:

Right click on desktop > NVIDIA Control Panel > Configure Surround, PhysX (might be PhysX settings) > set the Processor to your GTX card > Apply > Manage 3D settings > Program Settings > if Vectorworks 2020 isn't in the drop down menu click Add > select Vectorworks 2020 > Add Selected Program > Apply.

I hope this helps you.

Previously I used that method, but it no longer works on two of my machines running 1909.

I tried to run Cinebench but my Geforce GPU didn't show up, I used your method and it still didn't appear. I then used the new method and the GPU was there.

Maxon 4.png

Maxon 3.png

Maxon 2.png

Maxon.png

14 hours ago, Adam Robinson said:

Within the NVIDIA control panel, do you have the option to add a program called CineRenderNEM?  If so, try adding that as that's the driver we use.  Make sure to add the version which is located within your current version of Vectorworks' program folder.

image.png

Yes, I already had that. Up until the 1909 update I used exactly the method you are describing, and it worked. After 1909, even if you tell it to use the GPU it does not. You have to tell it in Windows settings/Display/Graphic settings.