Organising a Library of details

Boh

I am looking for advice on the best way to organise/catalogue a detail library.

I have finally started assembling a library of standard architectural details that we use all the time. The only problem is how to organise them so it’s easy and quick to find the ones you want? There will be a myriad of them eventually. 

If anyone has some pearls of wisdom to share that would be appreciated!

We are a only a small to medium sized practice so the system doesn’t need to be too complicated but still needs to be easy and intuitive to use (whilst also being easy to maintain).

My initial thoughts are to create detail symbols which can be accessed across our workgroup. The symbols would be drawn at the same scale that they will be used in drawing sets. They will use “by-class” attributes and the the same class structure as our template files so they can seamlessly be inserted into projects.

Do I simply create library files for each type of construction and place them in the workgroup?

Does any one have a good naming protocol   or coding system for cataloging them?

I was also wondering if it’s worthwhile putting all the details into one central detail “master” file but then creating sub library files for each type of construction which would just reference the appropriate symbols from the master file.

When searching for a certain detail you could just browse the sub library files of each construction type. The master file would not need to be accessed directly. 

That way the only file that needs to be maintained in terms of classes and resources Is the master file. The sub library files would only contain sets of referenced symbols from the master file.

Does anyone else use such a system? If not do you have a better one?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully appreciated. 

Thanks